VOR No-Shows

Overbanked Guest

I flew the B-737 from Chicago to Miami using a STAR called Cypress. However, the Cypress VOR_DME never showed up on my OBS. Not even when I was right over it!. I had to refly that leg with an NDB which fortunately shared the same position as the VOR. This is very aggravating when you put so much prep into a flight plan only to have it fall apart in mid flight. I checked my Nav1 frequency and it looks like I did everything right. Is this a program goof-up by MS? I seem to have had this happen before on occasion.

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Overbanked wrote:

Is this a program goof-up by MS? I seem to have had this happen before on occasion.

CYY may not have existed in 2003 when MSFS 2004 was being constructed. Navigational aids are commissioned and decommissioned over the years. MS doesn't update data so some omissions are mistakes and some are the result of revisions in the system, hard to say which case it is. 🙂

overbanked Guest

Yes, CYY is included in the FS-2002 flight planner. It just doesn't annunciate when you approach it. The same thing happened to me on a trip from ORD to LaGuardia. One of the VORs about midway through the flight didn't show up, but it was in the flight planner and in the GPS.

It sounds to me like Microsoft was careless with this release and rushed it out or was just sloppy with proofing the program. I posted as Guest above complaining about no taxi markers. I would expect a whole lot better from a name like Microsoft.

Among my other gripes with FS-2002 - the flight planner window is too small and hard to work with (unless there is a way to expand it that I'm unaware of). Also, FS-98 had callouts appear when you moused over the engine instruments and controls so you could readily learn how they worked and what they were. Not so here. You are pretty much on your own if you wish to learn a transport jet.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I'm sorry, I misread your post. I answer posts in all forums and failed to notice this was the FS2002 forum. I checked CYY within FS2004 and it works fine. The first time I looked for it, I didn't look far enough. I didn't expect it to be on the other coast of Florida. As you said, it's probably just a mistake within FS2002 but they fixed it in FS2004.

You should get Flight Simulator 2004, they fixed many of the things that are bothering you. The GPS is completely redone. 🙂
MSFS 2004 New Features

Thanks for your input, Captain. I can't really join in the topics on this site if I'm not sharing the same software. There is a DC-10 put out by Flightsoft that looks interesting as it comes with a programmable Inertial Navigation System. Great for us "tinkerers." I know Wilco has a 737 meant to work with FS-2004. It comes with a CDU and overhead panel. Decisions decisions.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...