A couple of advanced (for me) questions

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Ok, it's going much better with flying and landing, even jets. Couple of questions though:

Flight plans: What are high level, low level etc airways? I assume they are "prearranged" roads so to speak. When I try to fly them, I still get a "VOR to VOR" flight plan, using High Altitude VORs.

Second question, embedded in the first. To fly "VOR to VOR", I tune the NAV radio and then turn "TO" the station. How can I - say - fly the outbound X radial of the VOR I am headed to though (after I pass it, on my way to another place I mean)? Do I need an actual map of the VOR station and surroundings? What I do is tune the next VOR and just fly TO it, but it seems like cheating =p

Back to the airways: Flying from Raleigh to KBNA IFR, FL180, on the map, the flight plan goes from Raleigh to a VOR (forget which one, irrelevant), next VOR is Chattanooga, then I suppose I am to fly an outbound radial (there is no next VOR) and about due south of KBNA, the flight plan makes a 90 degree turn north, I assume following a criss-crossing airway, but there are no landmarks (flying IFR anyway), no VOR stations and the tower doesn't issue any vectors. I seem to be missing something 🙂

I hope it's not too confusing. I love this game, perhaps I'm a freak =p


Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I can answer the first question for you, but I don't know much about VOR to VOR.

You are correct, they are just "paths" in the air that either high altitude aircraft fly in (Jet Airways) or low altitude aircraft (Victor Airways, I *think*). They are VOR to VOR in terms of the layout, but they are only used at high or lower altitudes, rather than just random VOR to VOR. Hope that helps a bit 🙂

DonWood Guest

The previous poster was correct. Jet airways are upper level electronic "highways" in the sky used for IFR navigation. Victor airways are used for the same purpose at lower altitudes. Neither depend on landmarks. They are defined by electronic paths from one VOR to another.

Regarding the second question, there has to be some waypoint that defines the point at which you make your 90 degree turn and some path to define the course to fly. When you are on that route, use the map button to bring up the map of the area. Make sure the airways and VOR functions are selected on the map and follow the defined path to the VOR. Often such waypoints are defined by the intersection of radials from two separate VOR's or by a DME measurement from the VOR you are flying from. It's nice for the pilot if a waypoint can be defined by a landmarks but, since airways were designed for IFR flight, it is never necessary.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Airways basically and in brief-
are published routes
are controlled airspace
are/can be navigated along using VOR (on most ocassions)
Not too sure I understand your question about tuning "To" etc. You will take off join an airway and be on track to for example "POL" VOR lets say this is published on the chart as being the 355* radial so this is the radial you need to be on. Once at the VOR you can track FROM POL on the radial on the chart or TO whatever the next VOR is. Depending on the avionics setup you can have one VOR set in NAV1 indicating from VOR "A" and the other NAV2 indicating to VOR "B". Always useful to do this to ensure they are both reading correctly. When you are near or over the station the needle becomes sensitive, more difficult to track. You do not need a map of the surroundings as you will be flying IFR if on the airways. You would need a airways chart relevent to the airspace you are in. Not sure about the last question is the VOR on the field at KBNA?

DonWood Guest

It is not correct that "you will be flying IFR if you're on the airways" for the low level airways. There is no such requirement. There is not even a requirement for VFR flights to be in radio contact with ATC unless you are in a terminal area that requires it.

Many pilots fly VFR on the airways (assuming, of course, you are in VFR conditions). The only real differences between VFR and IFR on the airways is (1) the control exerted by ATC when you are on an IFR flight plan; and (2) the altitude you fly. IFR flights with headings from 0 degrees to 179 degrees fly assigned altitudes of odd thousands of feet (9,000, 11,000 etc). Flights in the other half of the compass fly at even thousands of feet (8,000, 10,000 etc). VFR flights fly at those altitudes plus 500 feet (9,500, 11,500, etc).

IFR flight plans are required on the jet airways and for all flights at or above flight level 180 (18,000 feet ASL).

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain


A couple of points if I may ask again:

Often such waypoints are defined by the intersection of radials from two separate VOR's or by a DME measurement from the VOR you are flying from.

On the flight planner, how do I recognize which radial of a VOR a certain airway is on? Is there a tool?

or example "POL" VOR lets say this is published on the chart as being the 355* radial so this is the radial you need to be on. Once at the VOR you can track FROM POL on the radial on the chart or TO whatever the next VOR is.

I see it here again, "published on the chart". Is this in the FS9 charts or do I need an actual chart from somewhere else?

Thanks again guys

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Don you are talking about US regs FAA. Countries and aviation exist outside of the USA 😉 Airways here are generally class A therefore IFR is a requirement. There are too many differences globally with regs to give a precise answer to what an airway is in terms of classification. My apologies for misleading but keep things simple in my opinion.
I am unsure if there are any charts in FS with airways on them I think they are mostly ILS approaches etc. I think the only way to see what radial is required in flight planner is to get a protractor and measure the angle...have not heard or seen a tool in FS.

Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

V-56 = VFR airway # 56. You don't have to be VFR to be on it. You can be IFR/IMC also. It is just the name. These airways go up to 18000' From 18000' up to 45000' are the IFR airways called J routes. Or Jet routes.

You have to be IFR (not IMC) when you are on a J route.

You must select the radial to fly. If the course to fly on a particular 'highway in the sky' is 156 degrees, then place 156 in your OBS and intercept it. When you go to, over and continue from the VOR on the same course, all you have to do is fly over the VOR and continue tracking from the VOR with a 'From flag'.

If you are to change course after passing the VOR, then all you have to do is change the OBS setting and intercept THAT course.

VOR to VOR is simply going from VOR to VOR by tracking airways or going direct without deviating by taking turns at intersections etc.

This is the short version. Clear as mud? HA! HA! 😳

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Clear enough and thanks for the answers, one point remains though, namely on the actual FS9 maps, whether flight planner or in-flight map, how can I calculate what radial the Jet Airway (or the Victor for that matter) follows? If I need an outside map or a protractor, anyone know links to a good one?

A thousand thanks guys

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...


Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...