SearchSearch 

X-Box 360 Controller...

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

Has anybody tried the X-Box 360 controller in FSX?

If so, whats it like/how does it handle etc.

I was thinking about getting one to make flying helis easier.

12 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

mattdean wrote:

I have an XBOX and it's great but I would use a joystick with Flight Simulator. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I tried it,

Its pretty wierd to be honest. The trigger buttons are the throttle, if you dont press either it has the power has 50%. You use the left trigger to get less than 50% and the right for more than 50%.

Pro Member Trainee
RiginalDonDada Trainee

Are you using the controller from your 360 or the XBox 360 controller made for windows? I have the one for windows and I agree it is wierd but the default throttle set up is nothing like that. My triggers are the left/right rudders. Throttle up is "Y" and throttle down is "B" (they work like the F2 and F3 buttons on the keyboard). I prefer my yoke and throttle hands down, but I use my XBox controller when on the laptop away from home. The rumble when rolling down the runway is kinda cool, but that's only my 2 cents.

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

RiginalDonDada, could you post your avatar as a bigger image for us so we can see that nice setup you have?

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

RiginalDonDada wrote:

Are you using the controller from your 360 or the XBox 360 controller made for windows? I have the one for windows and I agree it is wierd but the default throttle set up is nothing like that. My triggers are the left/right rudders. Throttle up is "Y" and throttle down is "B" (they work like the F2 and F3 buttons on the keyboard). I prefer my yoke and throttle hands down, but I use my XBox controller when on the laptop away from home. The rumble when rolling down the runway is kinda cool, but that's only my 2 cents.

Its the controller from my girlfriends 360.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

BashDaBish wrote:

RiginalDonDada, could you post your avatar as a bigger image for us so we can see that nice setup you have?

+1, looks sweet.

Pro Member Trainee
RiginalDonDada Trainee

Thanks for the feedback. My wife just doesn't get it. I probably need to bring that top monitor down. I just bumped up to 2 gigs from 1.5 and it made a big difference. I am finally happy.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

What's the distance between the floor and the top of your desk / table RiginalDonDada?

mattdean's enquiry:

Has any of the respondents flown a chopper using the X-Box controller?

Pro Member Trainee
RiginalDonDada Trainee

Floor to desktop 29 inches.

Floor to bottom of center monitor 36 inches.

I think we have officially stolen this thread, my apologies to the author.

Pro Member Trainee
RiginalDonDada Trainee

I went out and bought the 360 controller for windows without trying the controllers from my 360. The guy at Best Buy said it wouldn't work. I just looked, both my 360 controllers are wireless so that would not have worked.

I have flown a chopper with this controller and its ALOT easier.

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

Thanks for the replies everyone, I brought the controller today and yes it is great for flying choppers with.

But a little confusing for fixed wing aircraft! 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks RiginalDonDada for the measurements and for the chopper feedback.
Thanks mattdean for your persistence and experiments with your new controller.
Guess I have no excuse left not to try out the choppers using the controller.

Fixed wing aircraft...? What are those 😀