B777 flaps.

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

Hiya all,

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0576045/M/

I know how flaps increase aircraft to stay in the air with very low speed etc, but as you can see on above mentioned image, the furthest (closest to the fuselage) flap are set up almost vertically. Doesn't the air flow exactly against it making it almost a spoiler? I know flaps fully extended create extra curve to increase the way of the air circuling the wing, but in 777 it's very 'curved' doesn't it cause too much air drag and brake the plane too much?

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Sico2 wrote:

in 777 it's very 'curved' doesn't it cause too much air drag and brake the plane too much?

Apparently not, I don't know the maximum flap deflection for the Boeing 777. Considering the size, weight and the leading edge devices, it's feasible. Some aircraft move the flaps to a more deflected position upon touchdown automatically. This is part of the lift dump system which includes ground spoilers. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

relly? Never heard of it. Also never spotted on videos anything like that.

But it is still pretty amazing when you see 777 approaching and the flaps and their position making almost a second wing out of them.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...