How to climb above 35000 feet

Hi, I have a problem when I try to bring my plane above 35000 feet.

I flew default B777-300 from Zurich to Singapore. I set my flight plan to 42000 feet. Above 20000 ft I set my flight to auto pilot with .65 march and pitch at VS 1800 to reach 42000. And I have increased the simulation rate to 8 times. But when I reached 35000ft my speed start to drop down and finally my speed drop down to 260 knot and my flight got stall.

I have checked the performace guide for B777-300. It says that the service ceiling is 42.000ft. It means that I can fly up to 42,000ft. But why my flight stalled at 35000ft?

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Reduce VS. Set it to 800-1000.

DThak Guest

What was your IAS when climbing? I think that 1800 FPM might be too much at a low airspeed....

Reduce VS. Set it to 800-1000

I have tried just now to reduce VS to 800. It has an effect, my flight started to drop speed at 39000, not like before when my speed started to drop at 35000. But I am still can not reached 42000, because plane started to stall at 41000 at speed 280 knot.

What was your IAS when climbing? I think that 1800 FPM might be too much at a low airspeed....

My IAS is 358 knot A/T set at .6 at 20000 VS 1800
My IAS is 370 knot A/T at .65 at 30000 VS 1800
My IAS is at 356 knot A/T at 0.65 at 35000 VS 1800
MY IAS is at 340 knot A/T at 0.65 at 37000 vs 800
MY IAS is at 300 knot A/T at 0.65 at 40000 vs 800
An then it stalled at 40500 IAS at 280 vs at 800
[/quote]

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

have you tried step-climbing? level off at FL390 or something, let speed increase to maximum, then climb to FL420, using a practical v/s. If 800 is too much, reduce to 500...

that's what I would try anyway. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Heavy aircraft like the 777 and 747 carry a lot of fuel because they are long haul aircraft and fly for 9 hours or more. This means that they are usually too heavy to reach their cruising altitude in one climb from the departure airport so as ARD-DC said, they will step-climb, to burn off some fuel, become lighter, and then climb to 'thinner' air using a gradual climb rate. In the real world, you don't even notice you are climbing at this point (as a passenger).

Pro Member First Officer
kieranja First Officer

and go about .78-81 mach 65 way to slow

Spam3d Guest

what i tend to do is once in steady climb say up to 25000, disengage the autopilot and speed control, that way the autopilot has cofigured the trim of the aircraft and it will ascend at whatever pitch it requires to keep speed.

Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

Yup, pretty much what 99jolegg said.

If you have a lot of fuel, as in the real world, you would usually climb to about say FL30+ and stay there for a while to burn off some of the fuel to make the aircraft lighter before you climb into the considerably thinner air at 42000.

Also, as everyone else says, VS of 1800 at that kind of altitude is a one way ticket for trouble. Try reducing the climb rate at high altitudes.

Good luck 😉

Guys, thanks very much for such a quick response from the web host and also the enthusiastic help from the members, very much appreciated. 🙂

Finally I managed to climb to 42000 feet.
I did both advices :
Increased the speed to 0.75 while I was at 33000++
And also did step climb from 33000 - 42000. V/S set at 400 when I reached 37000ft. Leveling off my flight at 35000 for 15 min and at 39000 at 30 min.

But during my leveling, ATC was asking several times to expedite climb to designated flight level. I ignored it quite a few times to stay at 1 flight level to burn out fuel. Do you think that ignoring ATC will create problems?

Also at flight level 42000ft, my IAS could not reach 437/ 0.80 march (I set A/T to 0.😎. It remained at 385. Is that normal?

Pro Member First Officer

Well that is an issue with the MS ATC, which is a complete joke, it does not take into acount these kind of resrictions on aircraft.

It works, I imagine, by running a series of variables and mathematical calculations etc etc.

In the real world, ATC would not clear you up to FL420 that soon!

If you want realistic ATC however, I'd suggest either -

Vatsim - http://www.vatsim.net

IVAO - http://www.ivao.aero

Also at flight level 42000ft, my IAS could not reach 437/ 0.80 march (I set A/T to 0.. It remained at 385. Is that normal?

At a high flight level, the air is MUCH thinner than it is at sea level.

The IAS indicator on an aircraft works by measuring the speed of the air travelling through the pitot, which is a tube that intakes the outside air.

Because of the air being thinner at FL420, the IAS indication will not be acurate, purely because of the lack of air to measure.

So, the solution to this is TAS (True Air Speed) which is worked out based on a number of factors such as air density, static air temperature and the standard sea level temperature.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_airspeed for a more in depth explaination

Hope this helps 😉

Last edited by Matt (mattdean) on Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

Dont worry about ATC, FS ATC is just stupid and clumsy

In the real world step climbing is a common procedure and the ATC know this and allow for this, so I wouldnt worry about it too much

Just ignore atc if they say anything in FS

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

Guys, thanks very much for such a quick response from the web host and also the enthusiastic help from the members, very much appreciated. 🙂....

What he/she said... slowly learning more and more and this thread has some good pointers that will help me when I get back into the jetliners.

Anonymous wrote:

But during my leveling, ATC was asking several times to expedite climb to designated flight level.....

I've had this same frustration a number of times in a variety of aircraft. My first IFR flight a couple of years ago was in a Cessna 182 flying out of Dusambe, Tadjikistan. I'd done all my flying previously under VFR. I was excited about trying IFR and found it very helpful with maintaining my course to Buchara. But try as I might I could not climb to the ATC assigned flight level and they just kept telling me to expedite my climb.

However recently I was able to request and get another flight level. I was in a jetliner then.

I like the comments about step-climbing and burning off fuel and will look forward to experimenting along those lines. I was also wondering if air temperature, high and low pressure, during various seasons would also have an appreciable effect of ability to climb to the a/c's ceiling?

Pro Member First Officer
TimH First Officer

I cant see the air pressure mattering much with the clmb but the temperature would affect it

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

There is of course one drawback to the advise "ignore ATC", being if you ignore them long enough your flightplan will be cancelled 🙂 which you may want to avoid.

Easiest way around this is to initially file - for example - FL330, and then request a new FL from ATC once you are ready to climb to higher levels.

Rather obvious, I know, but i thought I'd add it anyway just so that it's stated in this thread Wink

Pro Member First Officer

Easiest way around this is to initially file - for example - FL330, and then request a new FL from ATC once you are ready to climb to higher levels.

Thats a good way round it, I never thought of that before. 😀

Great suggestion. 🙂

I love this forum very much. Members are all very helpful and open mind to share their ideas. Best forum I have ever attended. 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...