One very annoying detail here

overbanked Guest

I have to strongly object when people refer to flight simulators as "video games" or "playing flight simulator." It always galls me when somebody says to me "Oh, I don't play video games" when I tell them my hobby. A good flight simulator program is not a game nor a toy. It is designed to reflect reality right down to minutes of longitude and latitude arc. It is a hobby and certainly is an amusement, but it is so much more. It is an effective learning tool and having a semester of physics or trigonometry under your belt certainly helps. You can get as much out of a good flight simulator as you are willing to put in.

I hope people see the difference between blasting zombies with a virtual shotgun and plotting out a real world trans-oceanic course.

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

I agree 100% I have learned how to opperate the fmc ons and am currentley learning the ins and russian for the tupolevs and what not this is only a trainer untill I get to the real deal

The 747-800

Warrior2691 Guest

why is it made by Microsoft Game Studios then???

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

Oh you will so get on with Crash.......CRASH, WHERE ARE YOU??

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Warrior2691 wrote:

why is it made by Microsoft Game Studios then???

Because, I suspect, that is the most logical department within MS to produce the sim. It's not an OS, it's not office productivity software.

Yes, it's a game in the technical sense, but I agree with OP here - it isn't really comparable to blasting zombies or fighting aliens. There's a lot more to it than that, and a lot more to be learned.

Warrior2691 Guest

well that all depends on what you do on flight sim. if you like doing all the proper procedures and programing everything to the finest detail then it is a simulator but if, like me you just flying around in military planes then it is a game.
Also, CFS3 is a simulator but you are flying around shooting at other planes. Does that make it a sim or a game???

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Fight simulator 2004 has no points, levels, ranks, badges, positions or progression of any kind. Can't get hurt, die, win or lose and there's no health meter. No objectives, tokens, power ups, secret objects, secret powers, cheat codes or hidden areas or features. No weapons, characters or body armor. No combat, campaigns or explosions. You can't shoot anyone down. Not on PS2, XBOX or Game Cube. No sides, teams or targets or deathmatches. No transporters or flight in space. No score, hall of fame, lives or career mode. No rules, penalties, timers, totals or stats. No magic spells or potions and lastly, no end to the program. Can you tell me of any other games without an end?

That's why Flight Simulator 2004 is not a game!
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/game

Combat Flight Simulator is a game, it has objectives, you can win or lose.

Warrior2691 Guest

Combat FLIGHT SIMULATOR

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Warrior2691 wrote:

Combat FLIGHT SIMULATOR

The name Combat Simulator was chosen so that it would match Flight Simulator. Many of the control assignments are the same and the basic flying in the same and it's made by the same company as another chapter in the flying programs. You can't simulate war on a computer. War is about taking lives and worrying about dying, you can't simulate that on a computer. The name, simulator or not isn't what makes it a game or a simulator. A game has rules and a winner or a loser. Combat flight simulator has the features of a game even though the name says simulator. Game or simulation, whatever you want to call it, just enjoy it. 🙂

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

CRJCapt wrote:

Warrior2691 wrote:

Combat FLIGHT SIMULATOR

The name Combat Simulator was chosen so that it would match Flight Simulator. Many of the control assignments are the same and the basic flying in the same and it's made by the same company as another chapter in the flying programs. You can't simulate war on a computer. War is about taking lives and worrying about dying, you can't simulate that on a computer. The name, simulator or not isn't what makes it a game or a simulator. A game has rules and a winner or a loser. Combat flight simulator has the features of a game even though the name says simulator. Game or simulation, whatever you want to call it, just enjoy it. 🙂

I could'nt agree more! Try doing an ILS approach in CFS!

7dream8liner7 Guest

Yeah, I usually try to avoid calling it a game, because it is not, it is a simulator. Although I sometimes say I am playing it because I really enjoy it.

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

i agree. its not a game. a game is something kids play.

its more a lot more.

Munkeh Guest

LINK

any of various games played using a microcomputer with a keyboard and often joysticks to manipulate changes or respond to the action or questions on the screen.

It's a game.[/quote]

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Whatever, next question.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Munkeh wrote:

LINK

any of various games played using a microcomputer with a keyboard and often joysticks to manipulate changes or respond to the action or questions on the screen.

It's a game.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/simulation

its a sim :p

^^ posted for the sake of argument really, 🙂 I personally don't care what other people call it. I play/use it for my entertainment, and learn a lot out of completeng the challenges the program throws at you 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Well I've read on this one forum for proffesional pilots that some of them actually use FS9 to practice there scanning techniques and to get friendly with all the button positions. So, it's not a game ❗ 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...