reinstalling FSX on another computer

rvham Guest

I have FS X Deluxe installed on my laptop where it doesn't run very well. I want to uninstall it and reinstall it on a more powerful computer. I have read the knowledge base regarding activation. It states that a second activation is provided for this but there is only one activation code in the DVD jewel case. Does this mean they allow the activation code to be used twice? How do they know if I have uninstalled from the first computer? I want to make sure that I am doing this correctly so I do not end up with nothing working. Thanks for any provided. Joe Thompson

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

From MS website:
Q4: How many times can I activate the product?

A4: There is no limit to the number of times that you can activate the software product on the same computer. For example, you can remove and re-install or re-activate the product any number of times. An additional activation is provided so that you can remove and re-install the product on the same computer or on a different computer. See the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) for more information. The EULA is located in the following folder:
Drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X
To run Flight Simulator X on two or more computers, purchase additional copies of the product. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulatorx.aspx#buyit (http://www.microsoft.com/games/pc/flightsimulatorx.aspx#buyit)
Q5: How can I tell whether my software has already been activated?

A5: If you are using Flight Simulator X, determine whether the product has been activated. To do this, follow these steps:1. Start Free Flight in Flight Simulator X.
2. On the Help menu, click About.

Note If you cannot see the Help menu, press ALT.
You should see the product ID number. If you cannot see the product ID number, the product has not been activated.

Q6: Can I install the product on more than one computer?

A6: You can install and use one copy of the software product on the licensed device. The licensed device is the device for which you have accepted the license agreement. You can remove the product and then install the product on another computer. However, you cannot share the license between two or more computers. See the End User License Agreement (EULA), for more information.

It's my understanding that FSX takes a snapshot of your computers setup. It allows you a second install (you by another computer or just want to use a different computer). The second installation becomes the revised snapshot. You can reinstall unlimited times on the second computer(the one the snapshot is of) but you can't reinstall on the first computer. 🙂

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927007/en-us/

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I went through this, whenI first had FSX, and it was a PITB, I felt I had been through the Spanish Inquisition. I put it on my XP computer, at the same time I was assembling another more powerful computer to run Vista, eventually I swapped FSX over to Vista.

I had a questionaire in which I had to promise that it had been uninstalled from the previous computer, and then they activated it. Since then, I've heard that they had so many complaints, that they have made the process easier.

So I shall be interested in how you progress.

Best of Luck!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I loaded it on my old then on my new computer without any problems, so yes it does what they say.

Radar

Matt Bob Jeff Guest

SO does that mean I must uninstall FSX from my old computer? Or can I just install it onto my new one without uninstalling on the old computer?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can try but since it's already registered on 1 machine I have my doubts that you will be able to register it on a second machine at the same time.
Try I guess.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...