ILS Landing; quick question (hopefully!)

Pro Member Trainee
Saabotr Trainee

Hi All-

While landing at some airports, the ILS lines me up perfectly with the runway, however the plane does not intercept the glide slope and therefore does not descend.

For example: while landing at LAX last night, the ATC will say something like, "descend and maintain 2,200 until established...." I do so, making sure the Nav1 is tuned properly, dial in the ILS heading, and hit approach. The aircraft then aligns itself perfectly with the runway, then proceeds to maintain 2,200 feet without descending... just maintains level flight at 2,200. I am curious if you have to manually control your descent at some airports...?

I have not had this occurrence at other airports, like Philly Intl or Heathrow. The ILS controls both alignment and descent. One difference that I have noticed between LAX and say Philly, is the four lights at the front of the runway which turn from red to white. Does this have something to do with your glide path?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I'm hoping that someone could provide an explanation.

Thanks!

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Saabotr Trainee

I should mention that it was runway 24R at LAX where I encountered this....

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Just tried it in the C-172 and it works fine. GS intercept seems to occur about 8-9 miles out at 2200 MSL, make sure you're further out than that.
Make sure your GPS/NAV switch is on NAV. Everything else sounds correct. Does the GS needle move are does it stay centered? What's it's position/movement as you approach from about 10 miles out? 🙂

PHNX Guest

The 4 red/white lights are called the PAPIs, light at airfields which indicate whether you are on the correct glideslope or not (2 red and 2 white on both sides is a 3 deg glideslope, more than 2 whites means you are above, less means below). I think this is written in the Flightsim info somewhere

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Saabotr wrote:

Hi All-

While landing at some airports, the ILS lines me up perfectly with the runway, however the plane does not intercept the glide slope and therefore does not descend.

For example: while landing at LAX last night, the ATC will say something like, "descend and maintain 2,200 until established...." I do so, making sure the Nav1 is tuned properly, dial in the ILS heading, and hit approach. The aircraft then aligns itself perfectly with the runway, then proceeds to maintain 2,200 feet without descending... just maintains level flight at 2,200. I am curious if you have to manually control your descent at some airports...?

I have not had this occurrence at other airports, like Philly Intl or Heathrow. The ILS controls both alignment and descent. One difference that I have noticed between LAX and say Philly, is the four lights at the front of the runway which turn from red to white. Does this have something to do with your glide path?

Anyway, just wondering if anyone else has had this happen. I'm hoping that someone could provide an explanation.

Thanks!

About the not descending from 2,200-If you set the Nav1 to the correct frequency and course heading and turn on the autopilot to Approach setting (APP), you can actually do an autolanding. The autopilot will follow the localizer AND the glideslope till you're at the runway. You don't have to do a thing except controlling the flaps, gear, and throttle. However, I remembered the ILS somehow turned off and so did the autopilot when I was landing at LAX on runway 6L. I crashed then. I didn't know why the ILS turned it off but I think the autoland feature works almost all of the time.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The ILS is not autoland. The ILS is only designed to get the aircraft to a minimum point in space from which the pilot must see the runway environment and land visually. This point is 200 feet AGL and approximately 1/2 statue mile. The exception is auto-land. Autoland(FS)requires a panel and or aircraft equipped with the feature, none of the default aircraft have auto-land. In the real word, many other requirements must be met such as only certain ILS systems are autoland capable(CAT III).🙂

Pro Member Trainee
Saabotr Trainee

Thanks for the replies. CrjCapt, I think that I am not intercepting the GS far enough out, like you mentioned. GPS/Nav is set to Nav. I will try your advice and see what happens.

btw, I am flying the CRJ-900. great plane to fly. I have also downloaded the 200 and of course the 700 that came with FSX.

Thanks again!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...