Reverse Thrust during flight?

Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Is it possible to do reverse thrust during the descent to slow you downin fs2004? When i was going to Brazil, Salvador in a 767-300 the pilot reversed thrust to slow us down, Why cant you do this in fs2004? (I press and hold F2). Is there a line that i can edit in the Aircraft .CFG that will allow me to do so? I'm flying the same plane (767-300) that i was in and did it. Thanks

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

why not air brakes? air brakes can slow down aircraft real fast. In mid air reverse thrust? never heard of.....

Pro Member First Officer

hmmm, 99% sure the pilot used reverse thrust. I was sitting just behind the left wing, row 38 and i could see thing and flaps etc and the airbreak never raised untill we landed.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Reverse thrust doesn't work in the air and you wouldn't want it to. The system is disabled in flight. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

Hmm, I'v just done reverse thrust in a Cessna Caravan

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

dannyboy2005 wrote:

Hmm, I'v just done reverse thrust in a Cessna Caravan

It won't in the real aircraft. I just tried it also. It seems to go into reverse thrust but the airspeed would decrease much more rapidly than it does if it was really in reverse. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

I take it that if you were to do reverse thrust in real life it would damage the engines?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

dannyboy2005 wrote:

I take it that if you were to do reverse thrust in real life it would damage the engines?

Oh yes. There was a Brasilia turboprop aircraft that suffered a malfunction within the propeller pitch change mechanism. One prop went into reverse thrust, it crashed.

Last edited by CRJCapt on Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Just to make it clear...Reverse Thrust is not engaged whenever there is forward thrust on the engines...It's like accelerating and braking at the same time...Engines would get damaged and reverse thrusting is not possible in real aircrafts in the air...The aircraft would fall down from the sky...

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

As said by others, reverse is never used in flight. If it can be done on some FS9 aircraft, this is a fault in flight sim, not a real feature. If you must lose speed/altitiude in a hurry, deploy the spoilers/airbrakes.

There was at least one case of a jetliner sufferring an uncommanded reversal during cruise flight. The results were not pretty.

This is why a firm landing is necessary: it tells the plane that it is on the ground and the reversers can now be unlocked (selecting reverse is mechanically prevented in flight).

If, on a real flight, you see the spoilers move in-flight, this is probably the autopilot using them to maintain the speed set by the pilot. Normally, though, full deployment doesn't happen until all wheels are on the runway.

Finally, landing distances (in the USA, at least) are calculated assuming reverse will not work. The brakes must be able to stop the plane on the available runway. Reverse is simply a bonus, albeit one nearly always used when available.

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

Antone ... a very good explanation

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...