PC world

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

For those not from the UK is a giant computer store staffed by people who know little about computers

I went in there today to get some OEM parts for a client

I had a look at their pc range and one pc caught my eye.

It was a bog standard celeron with 512mb ram and onboard 128 mb shared graphics. Why did that catch my eye ? , because it was showing a promotional video of FSX. The video was looking fantastic with beautiful frame rates and sensational graphics

In reality FSX would barely even start up in that pc let alone produce any sort of meaningful game quality. But I bet a salesman wouln't point that out to any prospective buyer

Really f*ks me off the way these stores set out to trick people who know little about pc's.

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

its all about making money 😉

Pro Member First Officer

No Censored lol 🙂

Censored By Radar

Guest Guest

GoodisonBlue wrote:

For those not from the UK is a giant computer store staffed by people who know little about computers

I went in there today to get some OEM parts for a client

I had a look at their pc range and one pc caught my eye.

It was a bog standard celeron with 512mb ram and onboard 128 mb shared graphics. Why did that catch my eye ? , because it was showing a promotional video of FSX. The video was looking fantastic with beautiful frame rates and sensational graphics

In reality FSX would barely even start up in that pc let alone produce any sort of meaningful game quality. But I bet a salesman wouln't point that out to any prospective buyer

Really f*ks me off the way these stores set out to trick people who know little about pc's.

The Salesman is only learning a living you know and PCworld can replace them with the click of a finger. Keeping their Job is more important to them than misleading people.If they tell the truth about a crap spec then they will likely find themselves in the office. I'm not saying its right, but the blame really lies with the top dogs in the company itself not the minimum wage Salesman 🙂.
However misleading people is really a wide problem in the PC industry. PCworld is just one out of many and I would advise any beginners to read up in magazines about PCs before they buy 🙂 .

Jamie4590 Guest

That must be against consumer law under false advertising. I bet you could buy the machine and then complain by arguing you bought the system to run FSX as it was being showcased on the machine and this factor alone made you want to buy that particular model.

To avoid further action they upgrade your machine!

That said by doing it knowingly it would probably fall under a fraudulant act.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Jamie4590 wrote:

That must be against consumer law under false advertising. I bet you could buy the machine and then complain by arguing you bought the system to run FSX as it was being showcased on the machine and this factor alone made you want to buy that particular model.

To avoid further action they upgrade your machine!

That said by doing it knowingly it would probably fall under a fraudulant act.

no-one would know you knowingly did that though...

Quite a good idea to obtain expensive items.. 😂

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

yeh I hate it when they do that. another thing pc world and other companies do is trick people about hardware. I have a couple of friends who will always say 'macs are better than pcs.' I tell them this is rubbish, it all depends on the hardware etc, but of course they won't listen. It really annoys me how for example, mac are selling a 512mb ram, 80gb hard drive pc with no software above very basic for £550 - I am buying a pc with 4 times better specs for around the same price!. and to upgrade to say 1gb of ram or a 250gb hard drive costs loads of money, probably more than to buy the memory and upgrade it oneself. The companies assume that no-one will know how to do this so they take advantage of it.

Pro Member First Officer

GoodisonBlue wrote:

No Censored lol 🙂

Censored By Radar

Apologies for my outburst 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...