How do I get SDK working?

Pro Member Trainee
jhcorsair Trainee

I loaded the SDK update and followed the instructions to set the object placement tool disable to false but when I start FSX I don't see the tools menu. I also tried the alt/enter thing as instructed but that doesen't do anything either.

Would really appreciate some quality help .....

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Sorry jhcorsair but Ive never used any SDK and there's almost nothing on the Internet as a tutorial, I'll keep looking but hopefully someone with experience will come along. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
enaggs33 Trainee

I'm in the same situation. I've been through the instructions several times, but have had no luck on getting it to work. Please help!! 😂

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Yep, me too
I can install the SDK and it's patch
I can start the program from the "run" command line, windows task manager shows it's running!
Now what? I want to edit the AI traffic??

enagg ? what instruction?

bot4life Guest

Group Wave OH!!!!!! I kinda remember this with combat flight simulator 3. you had to read the documents properly that came with it. but, thats if you could open them, and a few would only open with notepad.
you had some file or folder that you would install in the main sim. like .XPD or something so it would link the two. then you had to paste another shortcut and go to properties and add something on the end of the file name.
and you couldn't get the MOS file editor open because it would say you don't have direct-x. so you would have to get a certain .dll file to link direct active-x or what ever it was 🙄
well geezum i just could almost remember that file name Whistle

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Do y'all have .NET 2.0 framework then? If you don't, get it because it's not an automatic update if you're running XP.

bot4life Guest

Secret YES, Having the proper .NET framework helps!!
If you know how to install that properly 🙄
and the proper "MANAGED direct-X,
and maybe a certain installer update to 2 or 3 or something.
The SDK may or maynot install if you don't have the .NET!?
BUT, you cant get managed direct-x to work with the .net framework
without a certain microsoft file like i forget maybe it was
uum DXredrib.zip or something??? Umm...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

It seems to me that there is a general misconception regarding the SDK. Some enthusiasts think that the SDK will somehow improve the performance of FSX or even boost the performance of their computer.

SDK is not a new innovation for FSX. SDKs were available for previous versions of the sim. SDK --- Self Development Kit --- that's exactly what it is. It consists of many parts each dealing with a different aspect of creating or modifying parts or add-ons for the sim. The SDK is not a cure-all, it is a serious 'program' that has to be learned before it can be used. Attempting to use the SDK without having studied and grasped its principles is futile.

Those simmers who don't know the difference between a file and a folder, don't know anything about the most common file extensions and their use, should endeavour to get a grasp of the basic Windows functions first.
If this sounds harsh, it's not meant to... it's simply the truth.

bot4life Guest

👏 👏 Well put ol boy; well put; (Software Development Kit); Good show Chap; Good show 👏 👏

Pro Member Trainee
enaggs33 Trainee

oldsamer wrote:

Yep, me too
I can install the SDK and it's patch
I can start the program from the "run" command line, windows task manager shows it's running!
Now what? I want to edit the AI traffic??

enagg ? what instruction?

Go to the following path on your system:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\Mission Creation.html

Just double click the HTML file and it provides step-by-step instructions on how to load and make sure that you can open it.

Pro Member Trainee
enaggs33 Trainee

Tailhook wrote:

It seems to me that there is a general misconception regarding the SDK. Some enthusiasts think that the SDK will somehow improve the performance of FSX or even boost the performance of their computer.

SDK is not a new innovation for FSX. SDKs were available for previous versions of the sim. SDK --- Self Development Kit --- that's exactly what it is. It consists of many parts each dealing with a different aspect of creating or modifying parts or add-ons for the sim. The SDK is not a cure-all, it is a serious 'program' that has to be learned before it can be used. Attempting to use the SDK without having studied and grasped its principles is futile.

Those simmers who don't know the difference between a file and a folder, don't know anything about the most common file extensions and their use, should endeavour to get a grasp of the basic Windows functions first.
If this sounds harsh, it's not meant to... it's simply the truth.

Thanks Tailhook for the information. I'm not trying to improve the performance of FSX; I just want to be able to create missions and perhaps later create aircraft. Do you know of where I could find some help on the issues I was having? 😀 😀

bot4life Guest

Ermm... Ermm... it may be possible by after installing a SDK that you might possibly experience a so called boost in your system!!!!!!!!!
SDK's have some kinda neat lil system files.
programs sometimes tend to share and leach off one supporting file.
so after installing a SDK they had more goody files to help in the sharing department and could have freed up the other file so it could work moe efficiently, its possible, don't ya think? Sleep Whistle

fsxfreak Guest

Its easy. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX
Then, edit the xml file.
Put all entries into false.
Done!

I am a mission developer and it took me lots of searching to actually find this out. Also, you can go to www.fsxmission.com for more help. I am a user there.

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Tailhook wrote:

Do y'all have .NET 2.0 framework then? If you don't, get it because it's not an automatic update if you're running XP.

No, I don't have .NET 2.0 framework installed in my winXp home. Is this a pre-requisite to install or run the software development kit (SDK) properly? If so, will the .net 3.0 framework be satisfactory?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...