shirke01 Trainee

Clicking noise in 747 after it reach speed above 370

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

shirke01 wrote:

That's the overspeed clacker! You can't indicate 370 knots in a 747. It's not documented in the program but every jet aircraft has two speed limits. One is approx. 320-355 KIAS(Vmo) that effects it at lower altitudes(below about 30,000 feet) and .82-.88 Mach(depends on aircraft)(Mmo) at higher altitudes. These speeds are set buy the manufacturer for safety. Can't be turned off without changing the programing. It's better to fly within the limits of the aircraft the way real pilots do. 🙂

shirke01 wrote:

lol

Pro Member First Officer
pilatflyr First Officer

haha yeah the clicky is bad 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

shirke01 wrote:

You can actually turn it off with this little utility ➡

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=messagekill.zip&Author=&CatID=root

I guess if you're going to use it you'll have to turn your Realism right down or else your wings might start flying on their own or the cabin crew storm the cockpit and strangle you. 🙂)

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

Love the sense of humour Tailhook.

I know I am but a newbie in here, but why on earth would anyone who is genuinely interested in flight and flight sims want to fly an aircraft above and beyond its designed speeds? Unless you are a virtual suicidal test pilot? I might be wrong, but I kind of always assumed that the idea of getting into flight sims was to fly aircraft as realistically as possible? Maybe I am wrong 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

wombat457 wrote:

Love the sense of humour Tailhook.

I know I am but a newbie in here, but why on earth would anyone who is genuinely interested in flight and flight sims want to fly an aircraft above and beyond its designed speeds? Unless you are a virtual suicidal test pilot? I might be wrong, but I kind of always assumed that the idea of getting into flight sims was to fly aircraft as realistically as possible? Maybe I am wrong 😞

Certainly a valid observation Wombat Idea

Many a forum war has been waged concerning the "seriousness" of flightsimming - namely REALISM.
The worst battle scars have been caused by the "Debate" whether FS is a Sim or a Game. Obviously there exist two major camps... but our fervor prohibits us from noticing a third group.
This third group feels free enough to treat FS sometimes as a Sim and sometimes as a Game, sometimes as a platform to experiment with. Installing, uninstalling, tweaking, troubleshooting - an endless cycle but great fun.

Back to topic: You're taking screenshots. Let's say, today you want to capture the wiring and all the other gory stuff that's inside the gear bay. You can't get a proper view while on the tarmac so you take off and make sure that you reach an altitude where when you're not paying any attention to speed, angle of attack or other procedures won't cause you to fall out of the sky.
While trying to get the right angle for your screenie and extending and retracting the gear repeatedly you don't want any silly messages popping up and spoil your shot.

I haven't managed to make a half decent video clip yet, but I can assure you that in my meagre attempts I have never paid attention to correct procedures. I've watched clips which were almost entirely shot from inside the cockpit. When watching a clip, I personally prefer to drool over the outside of the aircraft and the surroundings - weather, scenery etc.

So that's my two cents worth of why it's ok to go berserk with FS at times. 🍻

PS: I've never been a puritan and never will be 😀

Pro Member First Officer
wombat457 First Officer

You too make very valid points Tailhook, especially with regards the status of FS, whether it is a Simulator or a Game. I suppose I regard it as a simulator more so than a game, but that will depend on a persons definition of both.

I don't think that I am a "puritan" either, and probably never will be as I also like taking screenshots and not just simply sitting in a cockpit flying. I also realise and understand that many people buy and run FS (all versions) for a variety of reasons. Some, like myself, for the experience and feel of flying, some just to be able to "visit" places they would like to see and many for a thousand other reasons, not just for the (sometimes)sterility of flying a plane from point A to point B.

I too have made attempts at modifying the game by creating (or trying to create) new aircraft and I suppose it could be said that because of that I have other interests outside of just flying.

I guess what I am trying to say in a round about way is that FS to me is a flight simulation which, once involved with it, gives a person the opportunity of going beyond the flying; something that few other programs do, such as aircraft generation, "photography", film making, artwork etc - none of which have anything directly to do with flying as such but utilise flying as a tool to achieve their other pursuits. But, I still think that the primary aim of FS is the flying and I do take that as seriously as my experience and ability allows.

I can't retract my first comments though, as I did get into flight simming for the reality and the experience of flying, but since being involved with it (and more so since being on Flyaway) I have seen other options for the sim.

Anyway, when alls said and done, the idea of running any FS should be to have fun and for it to be enjoyable, no matter what you do with it or how you veiw it. That is my aim in anycase.

Hope this sort of clarify's my other comments in a way and I certainly wasn't trying to (or intended to) reignite any debates over the classification of flight sims

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...