Landing lights turn themselves off?

Pro Member First Officer
Bob (Traches) First Officer

I'm having a new and weird issue with my landing lights: I turn them on when I get my takeoff clearance, they stay on and work as usual. However, after I leave the ground they turn themselves off! If I hit the switch they come on, but they immediately turn off again. (Switch flips back, lights go out.)

This happens with all aircraft except the PMDG 747 (Which is understandable since most of that plane is calculated outside of FS). I've got the 'pilot controls aircraft lights' option checked, and I've tried it with and without my add ons. (Mytraffic and active sky; plus a few scenery packs and some airplanes.)

Any Ideas? I've got a pretty customized FSX install, could one of the planes I added messed up a file somewhere?

Thanks for the help 🙂

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer

A little more testing and I've realized it wasn't actually when i left the ground, but when I retracted the gear that I can no longer turn the landing lights on. So whenever the gear is retracted on any airplane, I can't turn my landing lights on.

Anyone know any files I could go after with reshacker, or a .cfg file that I could wade through? Any help at all's appreciateed 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If everything else fails, try deleting your fsx,cfg and the folder that contains your saved flights in the 'MyDocuments' folder.

Pro Member First Officer

Deleted both, no dice 😞

Ended up doing a full reinstall (not just for that reason, i'm not that picky about my lights!!) and now they're working fine. I'll check after I install each add-on and hopefully find the culprit 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you do find the culprit, let us know Idea

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

If you have Acceleration or SP2 and a DX10 compatible card (ATI/AMD 2xxx and 3xxx series and Nvidia 8xxx and 9xxx series), make sure the DX10 is disabled in FSX.

Pro Member First Officer

No culprit yet... Have installed the pmdg 74, active sky, mytraffic, shockwave lights, and radar contact. I've got an add on piper twin comanche that I'm very suspicious of; but if that's not it then I have no idea what it could have been!

I am running a dx10 capable card, but on xp. I don't believe I would have checked the dx10 option, but I'll test that when I get a chance!

Pro Member Trainee
Nascar1 Trainee

No culprit yet... Have installed the pmdg 74, active sky, mytraffic, shockwave lights, and radar contact. I've got an add on piper twin comanche that I'm very suspicious of; but if that's not it then I have no idea what it could have been!

I am running a dx10 capable card, but on xp. I don't believe I would have checked the dx10 option, but I'll test that when I get a chance!

Shockwave is the culprit. This amazing looking addon does the same thing to my fsx. I have tweaked with the lights a bit to try and get my landing and taxi lights seperated. That was no problem, but have yet to find the entry that tells the lights to turn off after the gear are retracted.

The same goes for the day... with gear down on the ground, you will not be able to turn on the landing lights properly

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...