Flight sim X freezing problems

I've ran flight sim X on my computer and it has worked long enough to complete all but 2 missions. For some reason lately it won't get past the initial loading screen without freezing. I haven't changed any hardware in my comp or any settings that I know of. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling FSX about 4 times now and it still keeps doing the same thing. What changed to make the sim not work anymore and how can i fix it? After doing a fresh install, it'll show the "finishing setup" box and then the one for secenery and just stop loading after that.

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

1-What are your system specs.

2-Clean out the dust from the fans and the heatsink.

3-Be sure to do it this way.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888846

4-Defrag before and after the new installation of FSX.

Radar

x pilot Guest

i had same probs not so long ago, thinkning it was overheating, power supply etc, ended up being different RAM sticks not being compatable... they all need to be the same, pc and cpu will run fine when using it normally, when starting fsx or after a couple of mins the game would crash and a almost new computer figuering that one out, that was the prob... i went through the book and internet...

I'm running a 2.66ghz intel P4 with 1.5 GB of ram, a 120 gig master HD and 80 gig slave and an ATI Radeon 9600SE video card. What confuses me is that it ran fine for almost a month and then started doing this about a week ago.
Tried defrag, uninstaill (by directions in the above link), defrag, reinstill and defrag again and it still doesn't work.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I'm running a 2.66ghz intel P4 with 1.5 GB of ram, a 120 gig master HD and 80 gig slave and an ATI Radeon 9600SE video card. What confuses me is that it ran fine for almost a month and then started doing this about a week ago.
Tried defrag, uninstaill (by directions in the above link), defrag, reinstill and defrag again and it still doesn't work.

Besides cleaning inside the case, delete the log and see if it starts.

Radar

Finally got FSX to run again but my computer basically blew up in the process. After doing the defrag and reinstall stuff again (not messing with the registery at all though) after a reboot it would start loading windows and then reboot again and then load windows on the 2nd attempt. Then later lastnight, it just kept doing that cycle over and over and wouldn't load windows at all. After repairing/reinstalling windows and then doing their 50 million security updates, flight sim works without a problem.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Finally got FSX to run again but my computer basically blew up in the process. After doing the defrag and reinstall stuff again (not messing with the registery at all though) after a reboot it would start loading windows and then reboot again and then load windows on the 2nd attempt. Then later lastnight, it just kept doing that cycle over and over and wouldn't load windows at all. After repairing/reinstalling windows and then doing their 50 million security updates, flight sim works without a problem.

It's for the best, Windows need a fresh install ever so often, it runs faster now.

Radar

gene kilmer Guest

I just got FSX last Christmas and, when I can keep it running, I've really enjoyed playing with it. However, like I've read so often in these posts, the software has a bad habit of freezing at the splash screen and requiring two or more reinstallations before it will run again. I've had to reinstall it five times since Christmas. This last time around, the freezing and crashing really hosed my computer: IE stopped working, right click menus disappeared from everywhere, key combinations to copy text to the clipboard stopped working ... it has become such a mess that I'm looking at formatting and rebuilding. I've got a Dell 670 Precision: dual 2.8 ghz processors, 3 gigs RAM, 256 megs on the Nvidia Geforce, acres of disc space.

I'm looking for some advice when I rebuild. Specifically, I'm thinking of upgrading the video to something with 512 megs on it, and perhaps another gig of RAM (if I can afford it). I'm also looking for some way to understand why a program that runs just fine for a week or ten days suddenly misbehaves so badly I have to resintall the operating system.

I've enjoyed fake flying so much that I'm willing to spend some money to get my machine into the required shape to make FSX run reliably, so any expert advice from you veteran simmers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

x pilot Guest

i would wait awhile till the industry settles with prices and vista is working well as along with fsx, see what happens with Dx10 gc etc, to get something to play fsx to the max is some stupid crazy prices, so i reckon give it 6 months or so before buying, thats what i am going to do as i cannot afford 3000grand computers for a game..

Tangojay Guest

Cant reload flight X, re-foramtted my hard drive, fresh intall, 3.0 chip. 1 Gig of ram, 200 g hard drive, 256 vieo card,,, if am lucky,it will load the first disc, then it wont reconginse second, keeps asking for it,, going nuts here!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...