When to use lights?

7dream8liner7 Guest

I was just wondering what are the rules or guidelines for when to use the Nav, Strobe, Beacon, Landing, and Taxi lights.

Thanks a bunch!

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

I guess just like how you use car lights, no strict rules, but if you dive in the dark with no lights on, cops will soon be flashing after you.....
I think the common sense is the rule.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Personally this is what i do:-
Beacon light always on while engines are running
Navigation lights at night and bad weather
Strobes after engine start
Taxi lights while taxi-ing to runway
Landing lights switch on when entering runway then switch off when reaching 10,000ft, on descent switch on when passing through 10,000ft then switch off when leaving runway and revert to taxi lights! 😀

Icarus328 Guest

Welshflyer wrote:

Personally this is what i do:-
Beacon light always on while engines are running
Navigation lights at night and bad weather
Strobes after engine start
Taxi lights while taxi-ing to runway
Landing lights switch on when entering runway then switch off when reaching 10,000ft, on descent switch on when passing through 10,000ft then switch off when leaving runway and revert to taxi lights! 😀

I agree with all above except:
1. Strobes after engine start. This(realword) would be very distacting to other pilots so normally they are turned on just before takeoff.

2. Navigation lights are required after sunset, good or bad weather.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Stobes are usually also switched off in thick thick cloud or fog etc. As the stobe can lead to confusion as the light is dispersed in the cloud.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I stand corrected! 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...