Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

Airspeed Indicator Problems-Stops Working

Help! Guest

Hi,

Basically when I am taxiing and taking off the speed indicator works fine. When im in the air and engage autopilot, it says I am travelling at 0. I have the heading, altitude, speed indicators all on for autopilot. I engage the autopilot by pressing Z and this is when it stopped working.

I tried a flight by pressing the autopilot on switch with the mouse. The speed did work. I then turned everything off for the landing using the mouse also. When I did this the speed indicator sometimes worked sometimes didnt. Its really annoying as im landing not knowing my speed! As far as I know there isnt anything in the options saying for me to have faults on it.

Has anybody got any help for me?!?! Thanks very much.

I have now just changed the airspeed from indicated to true. It does now say how fast im going but the autopilot is unabe to keep the speed, I have to do it manually.

During all this problem I have had the weather to snow, so im thinking would this be a common problem for the indicated airspeed? As it takes temperature into account?

Cheers once again

Pro Member Trainee
captainsimon Trainee

Turn on the PITOT heat.

x pilot Guest

when its cold and freezing ice form over the pitot tube blocking air from going through the hole and through the system to give the instrument a reading, air is what makes the needle move...

as with your question answered turn on the pitot heat and see it the indicator move....

SOP to have this on when in jets or flying high or in cold conditions

Thanks very much, im flying the 747, and its Shift+H to turn the pitot heat on or off, however I acnt seem to seen an indicator telling me whther it is infact on or off?

x pilot Guest

find the pitot heat or de icing switch in the cockpit and see that postion its in

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

I dowloaded a Piper Arrow that had a blank airpspeed indidcator. I flew in without a problem - of course I've flown and landed real airplanes with the airspeed indicator covered. A TIP - if your airspeed indicator goes out, you have ground speed on your GPS. Remeber, however, it is ground speed. It's nice to know your ground speed on an approach.

EASY FIX Guest

IN THE AIRCRAFT CONFIG OF THE b737_400 THERE IS A SECTION [SPEED_indicators] I PLAYED WITH THIS A WHILE AND NOTHING WORKED SO I BACKED UP AND JUST DELETED THE ENTIRE INDICATOR AND WALLAH,, AIR SPEED WORKS AGAIN WITH NO ISSUES. THE Boeing 747-400 SEEMS TO BE THE ONLY PLANE WITH THIS SETTING AND THE ONLY ONE I EVER HAD THIS ISSUE WITH..

dullesaviation123 Guest

I had the same problem as you did. I turned on the APU and the airspeed indicator went to normal!

Rusheelraj Guest

I on the pitot heat and it went back to normal