airspeed indicator affected by turbulance?

Sphagnum1 Guest

Flying along in my a320 at FL330 when I start getting "blown" very suddenly to one side or another. The autopilot quickly gets me back on course... but it's almsot like hitting turbulance. Not enouh for the crew to throw on the seatbelt sign (FSPassengers), but enough for me to notice. It's almost like I hit the rudder very sharply and then let go... but I turned autorudder on and it still does it...

Anyway, sometimes when this happens I'll notice my airspeed is mach .71 or some such number when I had been cruising along at .78. All of a sudden though it will register some absurd number like .84 and my overspeed indicator will be clicking. And yes, my pitot heat switch is on...

I'm now gonna get dinged -300 points (or is it -600? Can't remember...) for going overspeed in my aircraft and it's really annoying. It's happened a couple of times. Any ideas?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
matt7723 Guest

The kick to one side you noticed is a problem with FS. If you have a registered version of FSUIPC you can smooth the differences between weather layers.

And yes, turbulence does affect airspeed.

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Sounds like you have real-world weather selected...might try to turn that off, and only update before take-off and landing...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

As the people above said your speed can affect from turbulence and yes you will be penalized (-600points)from FSPax if you overspeed. 😞

Two things. You might try Yaw Damper on. Also, think of airspeed as the speed which air passes over the wings. Your airspeed indicator gets it's reading from a pitot tube samopling the Outside Air. A yaw or bump interupts what the pitot tube is sampling. You are not necessarily overspeeding when the Airspeed indicator fluctuates. rob

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

Two things. You might try Yaw Damper on. Also, think of airspeed as the speed which air passes over the wings. Your airspeed indicator gets it's reading from a pitot tube samopling the Outside Air. A yaw or bump interupts what the pitot tube is sampling. You are not necessarily overspeeding when the Airspeed indicator fluctuates. rob

FSPax uses the airspeed indicator, and not ground speed, for example, you can go 300 knots GS under 10,000 ft, as long as your airspeed never exceeds 250 knots. So unfortunately, even if the aircraft is far from being overstressed, you'll still get penalized.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...