2004 Running at 4-20 frames per sec on a P4 3.2 with 3 gig

Guest Guest

I was wondering if anyone can help. I have a P4 3.2 Gig PC with 3 gig of ram and a ATI x1600 Graphics card (512 meg ddr2) The sliders are all set to med and clouds set at 50% I am getting frame rates around 6-10 in flight and sometimes 1-2 taxi/on runways but sometimes it can jump to 25-30 fps I think that the systems should be ok to play this game at max settings.

Thanks

Daz

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Something is wrong, you have a very powerful computer.
A. Update windows.
B. Ensure that you have the latest version os Direct X (9.0c).
C. Update the driver for your video card and set parameters to default.
D. Check screen resolution is 1280 or less, massive resolutions on huge monitors can stress the fastest machines.
E. Look for programs that are running in the background.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823629/en-us

Thanks for the reply. I have the latest drivers for the ati Card and direct x 9 the res is set to 1280 x 1240 I think. I always disable anti virus etc when |I start and I have also used FS autostart but it doesn't seem to make much difference I also upgraded my graphics card from a nVidia 256 meg card when I bought fsx. My computer will not run that game ( well it will but at painful frame rates!) it seems really strange to me
I was considering buying a new pc but it seems the expensive option to play the game with decent frame rates

Thanks again

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I have the latest drivers for the ati Card and direct x 9 the res is set to 1280 x 1240 I think. I always disable anti virus etc when |I start and I have also used FS autostart but it doesn't seem to make much difference I also upgraded my graphics card from a nVidia 256 meg card when I bought fsx. My computer will not run that game ( well it will but at painful frame rates!) it seems really strange to me
I was considering buying a new pc but it seems the expensive option to play the game with decent frame rates

Thanks again

Turn down traffic, clouds and autogen. Turn off water and shadows and see if that helps.

Radar

NewsLover Guest

Update your antivirus and perform a complete system scan!

Guest Ed Guest

NewsLover wrote:

Update your antivirus and perform a complete system scan!

And run a scan for spyware, too.

Guest Ed

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I think I may have sorted this problem. I spoke to a company today that repairs pc's and asked the question. straight away they asked if I had upgraded the memory from 1 gig to 3 which I had. 2 sticks were 512 and the two new were 1 gig ddr2. Apparently this totally stuffs the performance of the pc. I didn't know that so I thought \ would post this just in case anyone else has done the same and had the same performance issues!!!

Cheers

Daz

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Glad you've gotten it squared away, that's a lesson for us all. There are different types and speeds of RAM so you have to ensure that the type and amount you're going to add is correct for your computer.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I think I may have sorted this problem. I spoke to a company today that repairs pc's and asked the question. straight away they asked if I had upgraded the memory from 1 gig to 3 which I had. 2 sticks were 512 and the two new were 1 gig ddr2. Apparently this totally stuffs the performance of the pc. I didn't know that so I thought \ would post this just in case anyone else has done the same and had the same performance issues!!!

Cheers

Daz

Hi Daz,

Hope you dont mind me asking but what performance do you get now?
My system is a little below yours, (3.0 Ghz, 1GB Ram) but I am suffering from the same problem, unbearably slow fps, extreme long loading time of textures when switching views, system grinds to a near-dead stop when in demanding addon-scenery areas... I feel like I wasted 150 quid on a 512 meg ATI x1600 Pro, which made no noticable difference compared my old 128mb FX5200 (This sort of thing makes you want to run into a wall).

Average RAM use of FS9 is somewhere around 250 - 300 mb, CPU load anywhere between 65 - 75 %, I've played with all the settings...card and sim...to no avail.

Strangest thing is, that maximum settings or minimum settings does not give a difference greater then 10 fps.

I've practically given up on trying to find what it could be, but I am confident that my Gfx card is almost begging to be allowed to deliver better FPS, but something else is limiting it; and can't figure out what it is..... 😕

I thought that this would cure the problem....but it hasn't 😞
I get slightly better frame rates when I fly in standard airports but the add on airports are rubbish I have the same trouble as well with the changing views it takes ages to load the new view.......getting a bit fed up now!! run out of idea's

You guys shouldn't be having problems with your computers from my knowledge. I have an older P4 3.0 with a 1gig of ram(2700) and a ATI9800 AIW. (128mb). FS2004 runs absolutely flawlessly with everything maxed out. sometimes when its adjusting to large cities it will get down to 15fps or so, but thats for 1-2 seconds then its back to normal.

I agree with CRJCapt. You probably should run through some diagnostics on your computer. anything running in the background you don't know about. even virus check, spyware, etc.

seems very odd.

I had a read in some of the forums and not a lot has come up but I have changed one thing that seems to have improved frame rates slightly. I went into the Bios and turned off the onboard sound. I am getting 24-25 (locked at 25) on standard airports but down to 7-8 on add on airports. But this is better that 1-3 frame rates. I still think that it should run faster than it does and will keep looking for different ways to improve

Daz

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...