Frame rate stuck at 20 fps

Guest Guest

When I check my frame rate (ctrl - z ) is says my frame rate is stuck at 20 fps. running a p4@2.2 with 1 gig of memory on a shuttle xpc 51b. Video card is an nvidia 5700. Any ideas on how to boost the rate or unlock the card if that's the problem ? BTW, great site.

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😕 When you say stuck @20fps, can you adjust the frame rate slider in settings?

Pro Member Trainee
Suds Trainee

I think that is the default frame rate target setting. You can change this by going into the display settings under the hardware tab. I keep mine at 30.
If you try to set this too high, your system may not be able to keep up, and it will use all your resources to try to reach that target frame rate.
I believe this may actually slow you down, but that depends on your other display settings also. Good luck!!!

Suds

Pro Member Trainee
3balls Trainee

Thanks for the tip Suds. You were right...I had the frame rate set at 20. I've now got it set at 40 fps and in certain conditions it is hitting the mark. Much better....thanks.

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Suds wrote:

If you try to set this too high, your system may not be able to keep up, and it will use all your resources to try to reach that target frame rate.
Suds

I have read loads of threads on this but I still don't get it. Of course the system won't be able to keep up if you aim for 120fps (example) but I don't understand how that will slow it down?

Pro Member Trainee
Suds Trainee

I'm not sure, but I thought if you try to push too many FPS, all your resources will go toward that and not toward other things like flight dynamics and AI.
Also, I think if you try to run it too high, you may lose some visual quality
in order to keep up.

Suds

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Your right, all your doing is using resources for extra FPS that's not needed and could be used somewhere else.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

If you limit the target frame rate, it can actually improve overall performance. It's better for the VPU not to have to discard from the frame buffer in dynamic conditions and instead do meaningful work for upcoming frames. I'm not sure if I explained this correctly but it sounds good! Possibly from memory. I leave mine at 29, but 20 would be fine too.

Pro Member Trainee
3balls Trainee

i appreciate all the input. there is an interesting read at tom's hardware guide. he ran a test on dozens of video cards using the hong kong at dusk scenario. at no aa/af, my card for instance had an fps of 51.2. with 4xaa/8xaf it was down to a slow 22.1.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...