I don't understand why it's running so slow with my specs

Pro Member Trainee
Nate (XVII) Trainee

I am running at about 70% graphic capability on FS2004, but it should not normally be running at 40 frames per second considering my specs:

2.2 Ghz AMD Athlon Processor
1 Gig DDR SDRAM
Ati Radeon 9800PRO AGP 256MB of video memory
I also have only used 50 out of 180 gigs of space on my hard-drive so that shouldn't be the problem.

Even my half-life 2 copy runs faster than FS2004!

Is there any logical reason for such performance?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Anything over about 28 FPS is a waste of CPU power that could be used for other things such as higher graphic settings. Locking your frame rate at 28-30 FPS should give you more than satisfactory results.

Pro Member Trainee
Nate (XVII) Trainee

...but I should be able to run FS2004 flawlessly, I get 10 frames per second around chicago for crying out loud!

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

XVII wrote:

...but I should be able to run FS2004 flawlessly, I get 10 frames per second around chicago for crying out loud!

Ouch! From what I see you should be able to do a lot better than that. I would think you could get the 30 fps with no trouble at all, you have a lot better system than I do and I can get 28 fps or close to it when close to the ground or around airports.

Maybe someone with a system like yours will have some idea what your problem is.

Pro Member Trainee
Nate (XVII) Trainee

Also note, i am running graphics at 70% capacity and the funny thing is...half life 2 runs better on my comp than FS2004 (stating it again for emphasis)

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

XVII wrote:

Also note, i am running graphics at 70% capacity and the funny thing is...half life 2 runs better on my comp than FS2004 (stating it again for emphasis)

Yes I noticed that 70% graphics figure. I have no idea what Half Life is about, I have never played it, so I can't compare to that.

When you say you are running 70% graphics that may not tell the whole story. There are all kinds of graphic settings in FS2004. Some of them take considerable computer power to run well, such as turning the clouds up towards high, drawing distances, anti-aliasing, water textures, to name a few.

If you set to default setting what kind of fps do you get?

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

One more thing, does this problem exist with all the planes you fly or just some. I know some add on planes can slow down your frame rates.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...