Can't find Installed aircraft in FS9

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I note that when I install aircraft into FS9 I can't find them in the Aircraft folder although they are in FS2004's list of available aircraft.

Putting them in from a download that does not contain an "install" icon is no problem.

Does anybody have any idea where I am going wrong?

Answers 3 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

I'm not sure I entirely understand what you mean.

How did you install these aircraft that you can now not find?

Pro Member First Officer
Odyssey First Officer

Yes, I agree with ARD-DC. When you say they are in FS9s list of available aircraft, where are you looking to find this. Are you sure that you have extracted the files correctly?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Aldeeb wrote:

I note that when I install aircraft into FS9 I can't find them in the Aircraft folder although they are in FS2004's list of available aircraft.

Putting them in from a download that does not contain an "install" icon is no problem.

Does anybody have any idea where I am going wrong?

Hi Aldeeb,

I think I know what the problem is.

Often when you install aircraft (payware or freeware) which uses an installer, the aircraft will actually show up in your menu ie. 'Airbus'. However, when you search for it in the Aircraft folder, it could show up under the publisher's or developer's name such as CLS, etc.

This is not an issue for folks who have just a few aircraft installed, but once your aircraft folder reaches the length of the Via Apia as in my case, to find a particular a/c for tweaking purposes can turn into a nightmare.

I have been using the following method and it serves me well:

I paste the new a/c into Windows Explorer, it should now be highlighted, I look for the exact same name in the left pane (the aircraft directory contents), then I click on this new addition which in turn will expose the innards of the a/c.
The most important effect this action has is that I am able to access the aircraft.cfg without accidentally looking at the wrong one.

Now these are the important lines in the .cfg

ui_manufacturer=Boeing
ui_type=737-800 Posky
ui_variation=Pan American Airways

I've chosen the above as an example because many of the Poskys to name but one example have "Posky" as ui_manufacturer -- this can get get very messy.
So the first thing I do is sort those three lines out. But that's not all. The a/c will still appear under Posky or Project Opensky or POSxxx in your aircraft folder.

In the above example I've changed the name of the a/c folder in question to: b737-800 Posky. NOTE: I've added the word 'Posky' because I have also Kittyhawk b737-800s.

One more thing: If you install using an installer (.exe), target a temporary folder first instead of fs9. This gives you the opportunity to rummage around in the files and inspect the .cfg and the name they've given the aircraft folder. Take notes.
If you're not comfortable to install manually from the temporary folder, you can always run the installer again and this time let it automatically install into fs9.

Hope this is helping you one way or another 🍻

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...