Whats the landing formula?

Ok, i've managed to suss out Back Course ILS landings, now the runway i use doesn't have a glideslope to let me automatical glide down for a landing it must be done manually.

Now i remember there used to be a formula for landings. But i cannot find the information.

I.e. You was 'X' NM away from the airport at speed 'b' at altitude 'c'. It helps you to work out at what distance you should decend at your current speed and altitude.

It was a little multiplicaton formula or something.

Secondly what is the standard decent rate on the glide slope?

Thanks in Advance.

Joske

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

3:1 for approximately a 3 degree angle, 300 ft per nautical mile.

Example:20 nm 6000 ft.
-----------15 nm 4500 ft.
-----------10 nm 3000 ft.
-----------05 nm 1500 ft.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok i've got what you've said great. So let me get this correct.

Say i am travelling at 3000ft on final approach for landing (in my 737), travelling 145kts approx 10NM miles away. Using the formula ground speed multiplied by 5, therefore my descent rate would be approx 725fpm.

Does this sound about right to you.

Sorry for all the questions.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply.
Ok i've got what you've said great. So let me get this correct.
Say i am travelling at 3000ft on final approach for landing (in my 737), travelling 145kts approx 10NM miles away. Using the formula ground speed multiplied by 5, therefore my descent rate would be approx 725fpm. Does this sound about right to you.
Sorry for all the questions.

Yes, that's correct. You can also think of it as 1/2 your ground speed.
145/2=725(forget the decimal)

Thanks for your time, CRJCapt. Really appreciate the help.

Joske

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...