Easy way to make FSX run better

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

We've just had a computer technician to fix our sound when he noticed that are pc was running much slower than usall. He saw that the CPU usage was at 52% and made that go down to 2% and 0%. Here's what he did.

Go to Control Panel, display, and in the themes tab, change the theme from Windows XP to windows classic. This will erase a lot of mem usage. To get less mem usage, go to the bottom right hand corner and exit or shutdown all programms which have the little icon displaying next to the time. This should improve FSX as it did for me and it may for you

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ryan (737FLIER) First Officer

I tried this and I monitored my CPU usage and I saw little to no difference.
But it may just be my computer, because it is messed up.

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

b3mmredm wrote:

To get less mem usage, go to the bottom right hand corner and exit or shutdown all programms which have the little icon displaying next to the time. This should improve FSX as it did for me and it may for you

There's a great program that will shut down all non essential prgrams with a click of the mouse. It's called FSAutostart & it's free.

FSAutoStart description

FSAutoStart, a popular utility for users of Microsoft Flight Simulator to maximize system performance, has now been released in a new version. It is a utility not just for Flight Simulator users, but for users of any application that needs as much resources your computer can offer.

FSAutoStart allows the user the ability to automatically shutdown services and programs to provide as much resources to running today’s most demanding applications and games.

It also provides the ability to launch selected programs before the application is launched. Lastly, it can automatically restart those programs and services previously shutdown, thus bringing the computer back to its original state.

It also adds some performance enhancing options like Defragment Memory.

How To Use:

· Execute FSAutoStart. The main window will appear and the default profile will be selected.
· Click on the Services Button. This will display a list of all services on your computer. Not available on Windows 9x/ME systems.

· Select the services you wish to stop. Click in the action column to display a drop down list of actions. Available actions are “No Action”, “Stop”, and “Stop & Restart”. “No Action” will do nothing. “Stop” will stop the service. “Stop and Restart” will stop the service, then restart it after the main application has finished. Click Save to save your settings.

· Click on the Programs Button. This will display a list of all programs currently running on your computer.

· Select the programs you wish to stop. Click in the action column to display a drop down list of actions. Available actions are “No Action”, “Stop”, and “Stop & Restart”. “No Action” will do nothing. “Stop” will stop the program. “Stop and Restart” will stop the program, then restart it after the main application has finished. Click Save to save your settings.

· Click on the Configure button. This will display the configuration window for FSAutoStart

· Make sure that the path to the application you wish to run is correct. If it is not, click on the Browse button to find the application executable.

· You can optionally enter a command line for the application, and set the priority that the application will run.

· You select to defragment memory before the application is started by selecting the Defragment Memory check box.

· On XP systems, you can choose for Force Idle Tasks to Execute by checking the Force Idle Tasks check box (this is disabled on non-XP systems)

· If you would like to automatically start any software before the application starts, click on the Add button. You can then browse to the executable of the program you wish to execute. You may then add any command line arguments the program may require. Click Save to save your settings.

· Click Start to begin shutting down services and programs and launch the application. After clicking start, FSAutoStart will be terminated and fsasctl (FSAutoStart Control) will start.

· At this point, the process becomes completely automated

· You can create as many configurations as you want by using the File-New menu option. Select to create a blank configuration or a copy of the currently loaded configuration. Then browse to the location where you want your file to reside. All of your profiles will be available in the list on the main window.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2948/fsautostart-v11/

This probably won't make much difference for people with newer computers with 2 Gigs of RAM or more, but for those that don't...it's a very good and efficient program.

Someone here on FlyAwaySimulation turned me on to it, and I wish I could remember who it was, so I can give them the proper credit for it. 😞

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

I tried the first tip with the control panel and it made some but not much difference in the way the program ran. I am going to try to do the other one. I hope it works well. Thanks both of you for helping cause it did improve some.

Pro Member Trainee
The_Finman Trainee

Here are some really good tweaks.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/3806/

What I've found is that different people with different computer set ups have some tweaks that work great for them, but not so great for others. So, if you try a popular tweak and you don't get the same response as others, don't give up. I played with all sort of tweaks, so worked out well...some didn't.

I'll give you an example...

One of the biggest changes for me was this little tweak.

3. Changing the bandwidth helps prevent stutters

This is a tweak that used to work in FS2004, and is again working in FSX. To help prevent stutters, change the following line in your FSX.cfg to a higher value. Most people are happy with a bandwidth of "400".

[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=40

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/3806/

After I upped the texture bandwidth to 400, I also went back and upped all the graphic and scenery settings even higher. Because I ramped up the graphics and scenery...the stutter came back. I then upped the texture bandwidth to 600 and no stutter.

That tweak has worked great for some (like myself), but for others not much difference.

Like I said, you have to try a lot of combination of things. There doesn't seem to be any "magic bullet" even with people who have cutting edge hardware.

onlymeeee Guest

you would think the developers knew about all these tweaks and pre-set them as defaults if the tweaks improved performance 😂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...