SearchSearch 

Force Feedback Wingman

Jamie4590 Guest

I've seen one of these joysticks and it looks a good deal (£5) but it has a USB connection. Will it be compatible for FS9? Is it a good joystick?

4 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Jamie4590 wrote:

I've seen one of these joysticks and it looks a good deal (£5) but it has a USB connection. Will it be compatible for FS9? Is it a good joystick?

From what I could tell at the manufactures site, it's been discontinued but that is a great price. It will work well with FS9.

Review: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/wingman3dforcefeedback.php

Review: http://gear.ign.com/articles/324/324343p1.html

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

I've never used a force feedback joystick before. Are they worthwhile? What kind of forces do they feedback? I assume the more G you put on the aircraft, the harder it is to pull?

BTW, just got TrackIR 4 a couple of weeks ago. Use this with Pacific Fighters and WOW!!! My wife is getting really p@##@d as I am now becoming a big game geek. Started the downhill slide when I got FS9 about a year ago. I was able to justify this by saying I needed it to keep up my real world instrument flying skills while I finish out my USAF career on a desk. This excuse didn't work very well with Pacific Fighters. I was able to successfully argue the PMDG 737 though saying the overhead panel works just like the real plane and I use it to practice the checklist flows . . . whew . . .

OK, I am way off topic.

Jamie4590 Guest

I've just picked it up with a 50% discount because it didn't have the mains adaptor and I used the difference to buy a multi voltage adaptor! Its full name is the Wingman Strike Force 3D and it is a few years old and not made anymore although I was able to download the updated drivers for it at the Logitech website. I'm a bit confused about the voltage and hope someone can help as I don't want to ovverload it. It says on the joystick the voltage rating is:

5vDC - 100MA
24DV - 750MA

The adaptor I've got is 300MA and goes up to 12V so what is the correct setting? I tried (briefly) 5v and the joystick stiffened up so it works at least. I broke my digital camera recently by setting the voltage too high on the adaptor so have a bit of a complex about it now. I have a mental block on what the setting should be. Any help?

Pro Member First Officer
Rambunctious First Officer

I know this is old, but on the off chance....

Looks like the 5V rating is the draw on the USbus - you don't need a 5V supply. But it looks like you DO need a 24VDC supply rated at almost an amp - that's a bit more than your generic plugpack could supply. A12v 300mA is simply not going to cut it!

you could try hooking up a couple of 12v gel cells in series I guess.....