Performance results on Vista/GTX 8800...

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

I just built a new system and would like to share my experiences so far with FSX. Here is my system config:

Intel X6800 2.93 Dual Core CPU
evga nForce 680i mainboard
2GB Ballistix Tracers DDR2 1000Mhz RAM
(1) evga 8800 GTX vide card
Windows Vista Ultimate
DELL 24" Wide Screen

I am running FSX in widescreen mode using 1920x1200x32 resolution with a target frame rate of 26. I am also using Anisotropic and Anti-Aliasing to smooth out aircraft edges, in addition to the following settings:

Global Settings: Ultra High
Global Texture Resolution: Very High
Level of detail radius: Medium
Mesh Complexity: 66
Mesh resolution: 10m
Texture Resolution: 30cm
Water Effect: Mid 2x
Scenery Complexity: Extremely dense
Autogen density: sparse
Special effects detail: Medium

Airline Density: 20%
General Aviation: 35%
Airport Vehicle Density: None
Road Vehicles: 17%
Ships/Ferries: 15%
Leisure Boats: 15%

Now granted my settings are not on full blast, but then again they don't need to be. The overall settings are set to "Ultra High", and in general I am seeing anywhere between 15-26 FPS depending on the level of terrain complexity. Flying through the Denver mountain range in a Lear Jet during the winter is absolutely stunning. The mountains and terrain look beautiful. You really don't need more than 20 FPS to enjoy this game, heck, even when I flying into an airport with medium traffic the FPS will fall to around 10-15 and the game is still very responsive and enjoyable.

For me this is the best flight sim ever. I just got lucky because I built this new system simply because my previous PC was 6 years old, and it just so happen that Vista snd FSX were released around the same time.

SAFX

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

give us some pics. Love to see that gtx in action

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

SAF wrote:

I just built a new system and would like to share my experiences so far with FSX. Here is my system config:

Intel X6800 2.93 Dual Core CPU
evga nForce 680i mainboard
2GB Ballistix Tracers DDR2 1000Mhz RAM
(1) evga 8800 GTX vide card
Windows Vista Ultimate
DELL 24" Wide Screen

I am running FSX in widescreen mode using 1920x1200x32 resolution with a target frame rate of 26. I am also using Anisotropic and Anti-Aliasing to smooth out aircraft edges, in addition to the following settings:

Global Settings: Ultra High
Global Texture Resolution: Very High
Level of detail radius: Medium
Mesh Complexity: 66
Mesh resolution: 10m
Texture Resolution: 30cm
Water Effect: Mid 2x
Scenery Complexity: Extremely dense
Autogen density: sparse
Special effects detail: Medium

Airline Density: 20%
General Aviation: 35%
Airport Vehicle Density: None
Road Vehicles: 17%
Ships/Ferries: 15%
Leisure Boats: 15%

Now granted my settings are not on full blast, but then again they don't need to be. The overall settings are set to "Ultra High", and in general I am seeing anywhere between 15-26 FPS depending on the level of terrain complexity. Flying through the Denver mountain range in a Lear Jet during the winter is absolutely stunning. The mountains and terrain look beautiful. You really don't need more than 20 FPS to enjoy this game, heck, even when I flying into an airport with medium traffic the FPS will fall to around 10-15 and the game is still very responsive and enjoyable.

For me this is the best flight sim ever. I just got lucky because I built this new system simply because my previous PC was 6 years old, and it just so happen that Vista snd FSX were released around the same time.

SAFX

I ran the setup you provided, I have only 17" monitors. The frame rate is great, but I think you can get a little more out of it. In fact, a whole lot more considering you are running a higher card than mine (I have the Superclocked 8800 GTS and Vista). Try to increase the scenery more, but keep the autogenerator low. See how that handles.

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

I got some screen shots for you guys. Oh, and you were right. I increased mesh and terrain complexity and my FPS was still around 20.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

See, this is what is driving me nuts... WHAT EXACTLY does it take to make the game run at high FPS?? I run FS9 at 50+fps at the highest settings... but my system is significantly smaller than yours, yet Im getting MORE FPS with HIGHER settings...

I have ALL sliders maxed out at 1280res except water and traffic.. I run traffic at about 15% for airline and general, 25% for road traffic, and 5% for boats... I have Anti-Aliasing and an Unlimited Frame Rate setting... I get 25-35fps in big cities, LAX, Chicago, NYC, etc and over 45 in mountains, canyons, etc... I have some videos in YouTube to prove it even... here are my system specs...

E6300 overclocked to 3.2ghz and watercooled
Asus - P5NSLI MB
Nvidia 7600GTKO manually overclocked
2gig PC4200 overclocked to 633mhz @ 4-4-4-10
Creative X-Fi sound

Thats the important stuff and its significantly lesser than what you are using and yet, is yielding better results... Im also not running an tweaks other than resized textures... I just dont get it... It makes me wonder how FAR behind technology is behind this sim... its depressing.. Someone can build a $5k rig, and still get low FPS... lets face it, 25 is low! Im not knocking your system at all, but everyone reports vastly different results... and none of which are impressive... even mine.

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

I see what you are saying, but how can you make a comparision between FS9 and FSX? Yes, my hardware is better than yours, but have you tried running FSX on your system? Let's compare performance along those lines.

Run FSX and let's see how many FPS you get on that hardware, then let's talk. Smile

SAFX

Pro Member Captain

SAF....crank it up some more. You should have at least more traffic than that. Trust me I had mine at a even higher setting: slight lag in metro areas, and the lag cleared up when there was less traffic.....

Pro Member Captain

Okay.... here are some shots from my setup:

Flying over Fells Point... Near Baltimore, Md.

On approach to KBWI....

Lowering altitude.......

Landing at KBWI.....

Once you notice that you are lagging and the sim locks up, you can either turn the graphic settings down a little, or began overclocking your computer. But if you like it the way it is, so be it. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I AM running FSX... what I was saying is that how can FSX and FS9 be so different that I get 50+ fps on FS9 and 25-30 on FSX?? Im sorry my post wasnt more clear... What I was stating is that I have compared my performance with several systems like yours locally, and with those posted online and I get better FPS with higher settings than most... It makes no sense... Perhaps my system is just running so great at the moment, that I have more resources available to the sim... who knows...

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Here are a couple videos I have done.. keep in mind that with Fraps recording at 50fps, game running at 25fps, and then compressed and rendered at 29.97fps, it appears lower than my game play is... If you like, I can take a screen shot... Im not battling your system, I just want to make that clear... Im trying to understand how someone who has a lesser system can get better FPS with HIGHER settings....

Sea Plane Vid

DC-3 in Switzerland

B737 Crash

Screen Shots
- If you look closely at the FPS, Things are pretty steady, whether at Extremely Dense Urban areas (Like my home area in the screens) or in the wilderness... The real test comes when you run that puppy on Direct X 10 (I dont even know if its out yet)...

For some reason, the pics turned out a little dotty when I resized them... they are just as smooth and clear as yours in the full size images... Im begining to think I have some sort of a "Fluke" system....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

JLangevin wrote:

I AM running FSX... what I was saying is that how can FSX and FS9 be so different that I get 50+ fps on FS9 and 25-30 on FSX?? Im sorry my post wasnt more clear... What I was stating is that I have compared my performance with several systems like yours locally, and with those posted online and I get better FPS with higher settings than most... It makes no sense... Perhaps my system is just running so great at the moment, that I have more resources available to the sim... who knows...

Why are you so worried about high FPS.
I have a high end system and crank everything up, set my FPS at 20 and fly between 10 and 20 with beautiful eye candy.
FSX is not at all like FS9, try it.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

JLangevin wrote:

That's great, but you can probably use the additional performance in your system for other things. Anything past 20-25 FPS is wasteful since at that speed the simulator is as smooth as silk. There is no point in having 50FPS because your eye can't tell the difference. Although I must say it is bizarre that you are reaching that level of performance with your current hardware, but that's great for you!

I agreee with RadarMan. i set my FPS limit to around 25, and at that speed I really enjoy this simulator with all its beauty.

SAFX

Pro Member Trainee
SAF Trainee

Another one...

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

That water is beautiful, however that CRJ is about to give its passangers a heck of a ride!!! Hold on!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...