Help me choose a GFX card

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

I'm thinking of getting a Geforce 8800 and a HD monitor but need some help deciding and choosing first.

First thing, is it worth it? Are the 8800 series good enough to get one? Before you answer, I'm 15 and the GFX card I buy will have to last me a while.

Second, which card? The GTS or GTX? I know the GTX is faster...etc but is it that much of a difference.

Third, what is a good manufacturer? The three I want to stick to are BFG, XFX and e-VGA. Which one would be good quality and reliable?

Here are my specs. I've done this upgrade recently and am sure it is 8800 capable.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz (E6600)
Kingston ValueRAM 2.5GB DDR2
Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
Seagate Barracuda 500GB SATA HDD
550W PSU
Windows Vista Ultimate x86

My current card is a 7600GT (PCI-e) and FSX runs fine on Medium but after seeing all the pictures set on Max, I want to try and push mine to that. Would this system with an 8800 run on Max?

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Get the 8800 GTX or the 8800 GTS. Both are Direct X 10 ready and they will last long time: these are the next generation cards designed with the Vista operating system in mind. ATI has some very powerful cards too, but it looks like everyone is after the 8800 series cards.

As far as running FSX on max.... I will add two more gigs of ram. And chances are you still won't reach max settings.....

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

I think the nVida 8800 GTX is the highest performance card available.
But
There is a computer hardware website;"Toms hardware guide" (THG), that has an interactive comparison chart of ALL vid cards running many benchmarks.
url for chart below.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html?modelx=33&model1=606&model2=547&chart=231

THG has many recent 3rd party articles about the merits of different cards too. I have almost the same comp you do, with my 8800GTX, I'm gradually increasing settings and still see consistant 20FPS

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Hay Gundam

I Just ran FSX at max possible settings on winXp in a window.

Opened task manager (cont-alt-delete), tabbed "Performance" and flew loops ina Cub over Houston.

FPS stayed at Targetted 20FPS
CPU useage peaked at 61%, averaged 53%, that's a 2.4ghz core2duo
Memory useage averaged about 538mb, peaked at 928mb, that's FSX, winXp, everything running on 2gb of ram.

I'm ready to pronounce that FSX on winXp doesn't need more than 2gb, at least if you use an 8800GTX.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

I see. did you try to go full screen? Now that you mentioned that I should try to fly FSX in a window on Vista. I wonder if there will be a significant change with the settings on max...... 😕

Pro Member First Officer
anonymouse91 First Officer

Thanks guys. Just a last question, what is the best manufacturer (reliable...fast...etc) out of the three (BFG, XFX and eVGA)?

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Gundam

Ya, that's a good idea

Annoyedmouse

Pick the manufacturer with the most informative product support web site!
That won't be gigbyte

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...