Imagin This Kind Of Performance

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

How well do you think FSX would run with this system specification out of 10.

Processor (CPU)
INTEL® Core 2 Extreme X6800 (2 X 2.93GHz) 1066MHz FSB/4MB Cache

Memory (RAM)
4096 MB CORSAIR XMS2 800MHz - (4x1GB)

Motherboard
ASUS® P5W DH DELUXE: DDR2, x16 slot, 975X chipset, 3 PCI

Operating System
WINDOWS® VISTA Ultimate (inc. Genuine CD & License)

USB Options
USB PORTS & BLUETOOTH USB ADPATER

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
150GB WD RAPTOR SATA 16MB CACHE (10000rpm)

1st CD/DVD Drive
18x DVD±RW/RAM/Dual Layer + Lightscribe (48 x CD-RW)

2nd CD/DVD Drive
16X DVD ROM WITH 48X CD ROM

Graphics Card
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=552274

Sound Card
Sound Blaster® X-Fi™ XtremeMusic 7.1

Network Facilities
Onboard Wireless 54 Mbps LAN (802.11g) & 2 x Gigabit LAN Ports

Floppy Disk Drive
1.44MB - 3.5" Floppy Disk Drive

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 57 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Case
Silver Neon Bubble case + Neon Extreme Kit

Power Supply & cooling
850W Quiet Five Rail PSU incl Case Fan & CPU Cooler

Firewire & Video Editing
ONBOARD 1394 FIREWIRE PORT

Monitor
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/124980/rb/25750387696

Warranty
1 Year Return-to-Base incl 1st Month Free Collect & Return

Quantity

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

would like a price if you have it.

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

Don't have the price, was sent to me via email and to reply if it was a good system specification

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I'd up the power supply to 1000 watt and get two of the video cards. Nice system specifications. And before someone says it...Yea, I know, I'd do it anyway. 🙂

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

CRJCapt wrote:

I'd up the power supply to 1000 watt and get two of the video cards. Nice system specifications. And before someone says it...Yea, I know, I'd do it anyway. 🙂

Won't 1000 watt kinda put a big price on the electricity bill and the motherboard only has 1 PCI-E x16 slot and i wouldn't want to spend £1000 on just graphic cards. I think one of those with the link provided should be just fine to get an images like this hopefully https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/22334/so-you-want-fsx-this-is-fsx/#140022

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

b3mmredm wrote:

I think one of those with the link provided should be just fine to get an images like this hopefully https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/22334/so-you-want-fsx-this-is-fsx/#140022

It will, I was just wishing. I've seen systems with two cards(must be a different mother board than the one you specified).

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Mainboard chips are P975, they are earlier than than P965. But provide raid and SLI (vid cards in tandem) by two 8x speed PCI-E slots. If you're not gonna SLI or raid 2 hardrives (you'd need a THIRD hardrive to boot Vista from, at least right now). Then I'd go for a P965 chipset motherboard. This works well for FSX and has proven very reliable.

$110 Intel DP965LT ATX mainboard (P965express chipset)
n/c Intel onboard Azalia sound & 82566c LAN
$309 intel Core2Duo E6600@2.4ghz
$021 Generic intel approved thermally advantaged ATX case
$024 Thermaltake 775D copperbase heatpipe cpu cooling fan
$262 Corsair 2x1gb duel channel DDR2@800mhz note#1
$629 Gigabyte nVida 8800GTX w/768mb DDR3
$061 Memorex DVD-CD R+RW drive
$067 Western Digital 1600YS SATA hardrive
$093 Antec NeoHe 500watt power supply
$469 Samsung 215TW 21" widescreen (1680x1050) DVI LCD
$082 winXp SP2 w/Vista upgrade cupon

$2127us I must have been drunk

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

CRJCapt wrote:

b3mmredm wrote:

I think one of those with the link provided should be just fine to get an images like this hopefully https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/22334/so-you-want-fsx-this-is-fsx/#140022

It will, I was just wishing. I've seen systems with two cards(must be a different mother board than the one you specified).

Ok Then. But won't a 1000 watt power supply kinda blow up the computer and use up loads of money on the electricity bill.

But as long as i can run FSX extremely well without any hiccups.

Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

hm good question I am not sure.

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

What do you mean By that?

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

b3mmredm wrote:

But won't a 1000 watt power supply kinda blow up the computer and use up loads of money on the electricity bill.

NO. But on the other hand: NO! But then again: NO!!!!

In short: A thousand times no.

A POWER SUPPLY of a given rating is the CAPABILITY of generating a given amount of power, not a force feed. A 1000 Watt power supply does not have its foot on the a$$ of 1000 Watts continually stomping it down the power cord of your PC!

Your thinking would be analogous to putting 5-Amp fuses/circuit breakers in your house where you needed 15 amps. It would reduce the electric bill, only because the lights would always be out.

Except when a computer's power supply gets overused, it might burn up. It might save you money then, but that would be because the computer is OFF. Any savings would be offset by the cost of the other components it took down in flames with it. Of course, most people build their computers to run, so...

You use a power supply to give a system ENOUGH power, NOT to save money through strangulation of the system. And it doesn't increase the electric bill to do so.

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

Thankyou mdaskalos, that pretty decent information and it wont put a big price on the Elecy Bill. BUt my question the first time was how well would the computer run giving the Processor, the amout of ram and the Graphic Card I specified?

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

I'll probably perform "pretty good", but I don't think it's optimized.

I'll explain:

You'll likely be pleased by its perfoemance, but the specs are for a CPU having a 1066MHz Front-side bus (FSB). But, it's being plugged into an 800MHz-FSB motherboard, and coupled to 800MHz RAM.

So, maybe someone smarter on machine architecture than me can chime in on this, but it seems that you'll not get everything you can out of that processor, given the MOBO and RAM it has.

And by the way, that motherboard does have two PCI Express x16 slots. I think all Intel 975X-chipset motherboards do; it's part of what their advertised for - inherent ATI crossfire capability built in.

mdaskalos

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

So if i were to get 4 gigs of ram at 1066MHz and get a Motherboard that supports 1066MHz ram, will that make it more 'optimized'

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

b3mmredm wrote:

So if i were to get 4 gigs of ram at 1066MHz and get a Motherboard that supports 1066MHz ram, will that make it more 'optimized'

I would think so. By 'optimized', I meant that some aspects of the system should run faster. Not necesssarily better framerates, but perhaps things like stuttering when scenery is drawn, etc. I would like someone smarter than me on the issue to chime in on this, though.

If you go looking around for a different MOBO and RAM, you have to check out the compatibility of the motherboard with the RAM, to make sure a chosen combination will work. Also check the CPU compatibility with the board, there are some 975X boards out there that don't support Core 2 Duo.

mdaskalos

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

Maybe one of the Forum Moderators may know a bit more about this.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have the 975X mobo and 4 gig of ram (it can support 8gigs) I also have two ATi 512mb X1950 cards in crossfire configuration.

http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/975x/index.htm

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
b3mmredm Trainee

Look. As long as i can run FSX really well with Horizon Simulations scenery installed and it will be a great future proof gaming computer, that will be fine with me.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...