FS2004 Crash to desktop on map open

Pro Member Trainee
eob Trainee

Hello all,
I recently changed my graphics card for a Geforce4 TI4600.
Since then when I open the map screen, FS hangs for about 60 seconds then crashes to desktop.
Could this be a driver issue? The map worked fine with my last card which was a ATI readon 9250.

My geforce is an older card but it is still more powerful than the ATI that came with my new machine.

Is it possible to obtain older graphics drivers?

Cheers,
Ed

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

It should be possible to get the latest drivers, even for an older card. Try the manufacturer's website - there will likely be a "Support" link you can try.

This could be a driver issue, possibly. In any case, reinstalling drivers shouldn't do any harm, so it's worth a go.

Pro Member Trainee
eob Trainee

Currently running latest drivers, 84.21.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

Hmm, well, if it's not a driver issue, I'm afraid I'm stuck. Someone else will be along soon, I'm sure.

It may be worth reinstalling drivers in any case, just in case something is corrupted or whatever.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Hi thanks.
No that didn't help, I don't seem to have that entry in my registry. 😞

Did find a work-around though 😂

If I open the kneepad first, I can then open the map no problems.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

eob wrote:

Hello all,
I recently changed my graphics card for a Geforce4 TI4600.
Since then when I open the map screen, FS hangs for about 60 seconds then crashes to desktop.
Could this be a driver issue? The map worked fine with my last card which was a ATI readon 9250.

My geforce is an older card but it is still more powerful than the ATI that came with my new machine.

Is it possible to obtain older graphics drivers?

Cheers,
Ed

I used to have the same problem on my previous machine and couldn't work out why it would crash in map view where nothing is moving.
I still don't understand why, but after I'd doubled up my RAM the problem was solved.

I don't know whether your new GFX card uses much or any system RAM at all.
However, one thing to consider - when you upgrade to a faster GFX card, your CPU must be up to the task otherwise you run into a bottleneck.

Pro Member Trainee
eob Trainee

Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz, so hopefully no problems there.

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

i had a problem with this and it just went away

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

eob wrote:

Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz, so hopefully no problems there.

Hopefully indeed - your CPU is not a slouch, but not exactly a Ferrari by todays standards either.

If you want to make sure that your CPU and GFX card are working harmoniously, visit both websites. If the techtalk and hype on the homepages don't make any sense, try to get access to their forums.

I know this sounds like a long way around and a lot of work just to find out in the end that this wasn't the issue at all.
IMO it's worth the effort though... for peace of mind and narrowing down the possibilities when you troubleshoot.

You never did mention the amount of RAM you have. Idea

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...