What Flight Level to choose?

Rara TIti FLYER Guest

WAZUP FELLAZ

Can anyone tell me what FL to choose before i make a flight plan?

Thank You!

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Avianca Guest

Here's the deal

Before you make a flightplan you should know the FL to choose. That will help you making a better time to destination and less fuel consumption.
Winds are the first thing to take care of. The more you climb, the less turbulent is the air, but you have more chances to find tougher winds. Be sure to choose winds having similar heading than your's, or slower winds if HEADWIND (Usually Flight Levels 270 and 400.)
At that moment it is important to check for temperatures above 27000ft and Baro Pressure at sea level: the colder is the air, the more airspeed your aicraft's structure will allow and your consumption will decrease, and , althuogh the altimeter must be set at 29.92 above FL180, you should check for the Baro Pressure @sea level in a few meteo stations over your way to destination. The lower it is, the faster your aircraft will fly. Theese are the principal parameters to set a convenient flight level. THE CHOICE IS IN YOUR HANDS! You can save up to 15% of total time to destination.

Rara TIti FLYER Guest

thanks man

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

Great tips! I was on my way to EGLL in the sims the other day in a 747, and made the scheduled 7-8 hour trip in 6 hours because my FL had 106 kts of tailwind the whole way! I'm still trying to get the hang of making the most out of cruise winds.

Also, when picking your flightlevel remember RVSM ->
heading of 0-179 = Odd flight levels.
heading of 180-359 = Even flight levels.
Also, if you're flying VFR don't forget to add the 500ft at the end of your FL 😉 .

Don Wood Guest

OriginalGrunge's reply was right on until the very last sentence. At least in the US, flight levels are defined as altitude in thousands of feet beginning at FL 180 or 18,000. At and above that altitude, VFR flight is not permitted so there are no VFR flight levels with 500 feet at the end, such as 18,500 feet. Below FL 180, altitude is expressed in feet, not in flight levels - 10,500 feet would be expressed as One Zero Thousand Five Hundred Feet.

He/she was correct that assigned altitudes for IFR are in even or odd thousands of feet and that VFR assigned altitudes are at even or odd thousands of feet plus 500, just not above FL 180.

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

He/she was correct that assigned altitudes....

I'm pretty sure it's a "HE"...Sorry, just wanted to make a point 😀 ...Moving on...

Pro Member Trainee
CP16 Trainee

hi
Heading between 000° and 179°-----ODD LEVELS
FL 30 or 3,000 ft

FL 50 or 5,000 ft

FL 70 or 7,000 ft

FL 90 or 9,000 ft

FL 110 or 11,000 ft

FL 130 or 13,000 ft

FL 150 or 15,000 ft

FL 170 or 17,000 ft

--USA-CAN-----------------------------

FL 190

FL 210

FL 230

FL 250

FL 270

FL 290

--------------------------------

FL 330

FL 370

FL 410

Heading between 180° and 359°----EVEN LEVELS

FL 40 or 4,000 ft

FL 60 or 6,000 ft

FL 80 or 8,000 ft

FL 100 or 10,000 ft

FL 120 or 12,000 ft

FL 140 or 14,000 ft

FL 160 or 16,000 ft

--USA-CAN-----------------------------

FL 180

FL 200

FL 220

FL 240

FL 260

FL 280

--------------------------------

FL 310

FL 350

FL 390

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

If you're heading West to East you need a Odd flight level. Ex FL350
If you're heading East to West you need an even flight level. Ex FL360

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

He/she was correct that assigned altitudes....

I'm pretty sure it's a "HE"...Sorry, just wanted to make a point 😀 ...Moving on...

Sorry you guys but i'd like to congradulate crosscheck on finally becoming a member. 😀

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Thank you - Thank you very much 😀 !! Couldn't have done it without all of you. I appreciate the congrats mypilot.. Happy Flying.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...