Kai Tak (Hong Kont Old) Scenery?

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Are there any scenery packs out there yet for FSX that include realistic looking Kai Tak replacements? Id love to fly the checkerboard approach at night, yet MS decided to make this sim TOO real and have the airport abandoned and remove the guideance lights, as well as all runway lights. I know there are plenty for FS9, and I even own FS9, however, I do not like the feeling I get from flying FS9 compared to FSX.

So, anything out there as of yet?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest

yes, that's an amazing airport to fly in.

i was a passenger in a 747 once, it made this feels like 90 degree turn at the checker board, it was a fantastic feeling.

hats off to all the pilots who had to land there regularly. too bad it is closed now.

if you want to get a feel of the landing approach, do a search on youtube. you'll love the videos.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

JLangevin wrote:

Are there any scenery packs out there yet for FSX that include realistic looking Kai Tak replacements? Id love to fly the checkerboard approach at night, yet MS decided to make this sim TOO real and have the airport abandoned and remove the guideance lights, as well as all runway lights. I know there are plenty for FS9, and I even own FS9, however, I do not like the feeling I get from flying FS9 compared to FSX.

So, anything out there as of yet?

Not much in the way of scenery released as of yet.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I can fly the approach, and safely and softly put a 747 or A380 down without a problem... the ONLY problem I have is MS Autgen decided to put a couple of tall buildings RIGHT on either side of the approach pattern!! I litteraly have to fly between the buildings.

Is there a way to at least modify the scenery for that area and remove these buildings? I dont have Deluxe, so I do not have the SDK... perhaps someone here who knows what they are doing could look into this?

have you got the approach plate?

http://www.vatroc.org/english/charts/vhhh/VHXX.pdf

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

JLangevin wrote:

I can fly the approach, and safely and softly put a 747 or A380 down without a problem... the ONLY problem I have is MS Autgen decided to put a couple of tall buildings RIGHT on either side of the approach pattern!! I litteraly have to fly between the buildings.

Is there a way to at least modify the scenery for that area and remove these buildings? I dont have Deluxe, so I do not have the SDK... perhaps someone here who knows what they are doing could look into this?

You might be interested in this payware add-on:

... or challange your self in a visual approach to Kai Tak old airport, landing in bad weather condition or take the control of you heavy plane in a IFR flight.

http://www.fs2000.org/heavies/flightsim.htm

There is a video clip available to whet your appetite 😀

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Now that looks like it would be worth the money, too bad they didnt do custom scenery for Kai Tak, it looks to me like they just rearranged the autogen.

some pix of the old Kai Tak

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

That's not Kai Tak -- that's downtown Hong Kong exactly 500 feet above the soup kitchen where I used to take my breakfast Fear

Nevertheless, some of the nicest pics I've seen 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...