Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

CPU

mampy Guest

Hi continuing the CPU thread I am about to build a new PC and install FSX
will a Celeron D356/360 be ok or Pentium D900 series ( tight budget ) your thoughts please. Thanks

Guest Guest

Ignore a Celeron if you have gaming ambitions. A Celeron is basically a Pentium 4 with much lower amount of cache. A Celeron would be fine for basic computer needs. A pentium D is a Dual core cpu and has much more power for intensive tasks like FSX for example.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

Definately the Pentium. The Pentium D is no flash feat in itself, but the celeron is even worse! Laughing

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I built my current system with a Pentium D 805 Smithfield which was VERY overclockable.. (2.66ghz to 3.6ghz!!!) and thought I was hot stuff, until I put in a Core2Duo E6300 1.86ghz and literally blew the Pentium D out of the water!!! It runs less hot, uses less watts, and is much much faster than any other dual core out there! The Core 2 Duo series is the way to go... I DOUBLED my FSX performance over the Pentium D. You can right now get the E6300 on NewEgg.com for $174.99. I paid $200 for mine, so that is a great deal.

I would bite the bullet and build the system right the first time, AND with the proper board/cpu/memory/cooling combo, you can overclock the HECK out of an E6300.

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

will a Celeron D356/360 be ok or Pentium D900 series ( tight budget ) your thoughts please. Thanks

God Forbid... Shocked

read all the good advice above.