autolanding??

hi

i've been trying to autoland some a/c on fs9 and it doesn't really work so good.. I did get it to work one time but the landing was so hard i ended up crashing and decided that i didn't want to use it after that haha. If you can help on something,maybe im doing something wrong, but anyways if you could help that'd be great

here's what i do when i attempt to autoland:
1. set radio to ILS frequency on Nav 1 & 2
2. set them so they aren't on standby and then push ID for both
3. push "APP" on the panel

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Default aircraft don't have autoland, that is the Approach button. You have to download a panel with auto land or download the autoland feature and install it into an aircraft.
Autoland download link

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Or you could do it the easy way 😉

Get Greg's panel here and enjoy the fruits of your labour straight away. Much easier to install and easier to use 😀

You'll be able to straight away.

You can use this panel in most 737s, in iFDG Airbuses and pretty much any twin engine freeware aircraft -- it even works in trijets such as MD-11s and DC-10s.

NOTE: There are plenty of other Autoland equipped panels available, even some of the payware a/c have them... but --- you gotta start somewhere. 😎

Air-Head Guest

I made that error too, I thought APP was autoland, I then read it on here, that its called doing a "coupled approach".

If you turn off the auto-throttle at about 600, and the A/P itself at 500, its fairly painless to fly an land the rest of the way..

BY the way though, does anyone know where you could find a list of what the Acronymns mean on the A/P panel? eg. APP, LOC... etc...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

LOC stands for Localizer. APP - I'm sure you know already 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Air-Head wrote:

BY the way though, does anyone know where you could find a list of what the Acronymns mean on the A/P panel? eg. APP, LOC... etc...

The Learning Center under [Using the Autopilot].

Air-Head Guest

Thanks guys! an of course the learning center!!! the most obvious starting point, and I didnt think to look there!!! 😳 😀

why the hell do you want to autoland. there is no point is having the flight simulator if you just sit there and watch it land on its own. Boring!! Hand fly the approach, most fun part of the simulator so pointless autolanding.

the only reason i want to use auto land is during bad weather.. i hand fly my landings 100% right now and usually it's not fun when you've flown 2000miles and then crash... (i have fspassengers just fyi)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

why the hell do you want to autoland. there is no point is having the flight simulator if you just sit there and watch it land on its own. Boring!! Hand fly the approach, most fun part of the simulator so pointless autolanding.

Come off your high horse Anonymous Guest. FS is NOT just about pretenting to be a pilot so you can tell your pimply faced girlfriend that you know how to land a 747. She probably won't even know what that is anyway.

The fact is that by using Autoland you can actually learn a lot -- if you're the type that has enough patience to sit back and observe, while your cell phone is switched off and your TV and Hi-Fi aren't distracting you.

And then there are certain very useful ways Autoland can be used for, which I won't even divulge here since you're obviously a *serious* pilot.

FS is a platform that CAN be used to a certain degree as a flight simulator, but essentially it is a piece of software that allows us to have fun, enjoy ourselves and experiment.

If you're so deadly serious about flying realistically, fly for one of the VAs that implement strict rules. They have their own forums and you won't find the need to visit Flyaway as an 'Anonymous Guest' solely for the purpose of venting your frustrations.

On more thing, if you're getting bored so easily (as you mentioned in your post), why not read a book occasionally? You'll be surprised how it makes time fly ...and at the same time it will improve your spelling Twisted Evil

PS: Don't even think about coming back for flaming purposes without using even an assumed Username -- I will ignore it completely.

YourOldFriend Guest

Tailhook wrote:

Come off your high horse Anonymous Guest.

Tailhook wrote:

PS: Don't even think about coming back for flaming purposes without using even an assumed Username -- I will ignore it completely.

ROFL Pot calling the kettle black.

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

YourOldFriend wrote:

ROFL Pot calling the kettle black.

In what way? I though Tailhook made a pretty good case as to why people may like to use the autoland function - it wasn't a flame. What's it to you if someone chooses to autoland?

Jamie4590 Guest

What landing FPM does tha autopilot try to achieve? Is it different depending on the landing catagory?

Sometimes in the Concorde when performing a cat II autoland it looks like my wheels are going to touch at 600FMP but it uses the ground effect during the flair to shave off about half the FMP resulting in a smooth touch down everytime. Regardless of aircraft do the autoland systems aim for a certain FPS every time or does it use 'AI' to configure the aircraft to achieve a certain landing FMP during any conditions such as severe windshere?

LEE HAPPY NOW Guest

Tailhook wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

Come off your high horse Anonymous Guest. FS is NOT just about pretenting to be a pilot so you can tell your pimply faced girlfriend that you know how to land a 747. She probably won't even know what that is anyway.

The fact is that by using Autoland you can actually learn a lot -- if you're the type that has enough patience to sit back and observe, while your cell phone is switched off and your TV and Hi-Fi aren't distracting you.

And then there are certain very useful ways Autoland can be used for, which I won't even divulge here since you're obviously a *serious* pilot.

FS is a platform that CAN be used to a certain degree as a flight simulator, but essentially it is a piece of software that allows us to have fun, enjoy ourselves and experiment.

If you're so deadly serious about flying realistically, fly for one of the VAs that implement strict rules. They have their own forums and you won't find the need to visit Flyaway as an 'Anonymous Guest' solely for the purpose of venting your frustrations.

On more thing, if you're getting bored so easily (as you mentioned in your post), why not read a book occasionally? You'll be surprised how it makes time fly ...and at the same time it will improve your spelling Twisted Evil

Actually i fly for British airways and fly online with vatsim so yes i do take it seriously. I fly the PMDG aircraft and was only placing my point across because i think its silly autolanding. A 5 year old boy could autoland! 😳 So i dont think that it is really worth having a flight simulator if you are to just sit there from takeoff to landing pressing buttons. Takes them fun out of it. If you want to check on my VA record im BAW952 in the crew centre and have flown 120hours in a PMDG aircraft and have been flying online since the start of january with full voice.

It's funny because if you were really a British Airways pilot you would know that "autolands" when the conditions are necessary is not only safer on the aircraft but safer for the passengers and anybody else who would have to clean up the mess on the runway.

But yeah, since you fly for British Airways you would know that.

I'm not trying to spark an argument. And I'm going to register for this forum right now actually haha.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Using autoland is not silly, as a "pro"(sim) Pilot you will know that pilots may sometimes be forced or required to use the A/L feature.

Someone familiarising him/herself with that feature is not silly, but is actually pretty smart. Silly would be to not know and practise with all functions of the aircraft you are flying.

Air-Head Guest

If Autlo-land is a feature of real world airplanes, then you could argue it should be part of a simulator that is trying to be as realistic as possible.

Also if someone is being judged on performance such as using FSPassengers or such, then the need for using it in bad weather is not dissimilar to the real world need.

However If one choses to use it or not, is ones own decision. 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...