Filtering Options?

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

What is it exactly and what setting should be on?
Bilinear
Trilinear
Anisotropic

Thanks

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Michaelvg1 wrote:

What is it exactly and what setting should be on?
Bilinear
Trilinear
Anisotropic

Thanks

I believe Bi is default, many say Tri is better, try them and see which you like.

Set AA, AF and mip-map in the cards control panel not in the sims settings.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

What do you mean with that last suggestion?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Michaelvg1 wrote:

What do you mean with that last suggestion?

I use ATi and the mip-map settings are in my cards catalyst control panel. I'm guessing that NVIDIA has it also.
That gets rid of the "jaggies" of the aircraft.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

What number for AF 2x or 16x

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

I need help for what they stand for? ATI?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Michaelvg1 wrote:

I need help for what they stand for? ATI?

What card do you have ATi or NVIDIA.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

NVidia

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

OK. Another thing. I noticed wthat when I look behind the plane and move the toggle on the stick to side different angles, it's one click instead of a smooth move.. Don't know what I hit.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Michaelvg1 wrote:

What number for AF 2x or 16x

Try AF 4x and AA 4x. You'll have to experiment, each setup is different.

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

What is it that they are actually doing....
Do I default everything in FSX and Change the Card settings.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Michaelvg1 wrote:

What is it that they are actually doing....
Do I default everything in FSX and Change the Card settings.

Just play with the settings in the card, leave the sim the way it is.
If you get the seeings that you like the sim will look and possible act better.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

OK. But if I have the system stettings for 1400:900 should I set the FSX settings the same or set them to 1280:1024? Which is the best anyway?

Pro Member Trainee
Dachipsta Trainee

This is a quote from Nvidia's site in the tech tips for FSX.

Quote" Using in-game AF (anisotropic filtering) is always better than forcing AF in Driver Control Panel. It's always faster and gives virtually the same image quality, because game developers know exactly which surfaces need anisotropic filtering and which don't. It allows the GPU to save the precious resources and achieve better gameplay. Use in-game AF in Microsoft's Flight Simulator X to achieve better image quality. "

I havent tried this angle yet but my performance is fine setting everything up in the Nvidia control panel. For those overtaxing their cards a bit too much, this may be helpful.

Here is the link to the page....

http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_fsx_techtips.html

Hope this is helpful........l8r

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

One more thing
In 3D computer graphics, anisotropic filtering (abbreviated AF) is a method of enhancing the image quality of textures on surfaces that are far away and at high angles with respect to the camera so the projection of the texture (not the polygon or other primitive it is rendered on) appears like a trapezoid instead of a square. Like bilinear and trilinear filtering it eliminates aliasing effects, but introduces less blur at extreme angles and thus preserves more detail. Anisotropic filtering is relatively expensive (usually computationally, though the standard space-time tradeoff rules apply), SO I would try the ansi filtering to see if your images are clearer, but also watch to see if it slows down your game. It is a trade off.

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Ok. I have an NVidia card and within the card settings they have a sample illustration of this 3D picture that spins around so if you make changes to the settings you can see the improvements. They show you a sample picture of what it should look like without jagged edges. For the life of me, I can not reproduce this image. It does not make sense if they have a sample of what it should look like with the best settings and not be able to achieve this...
Any further suggestions...

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...