Best peformance graphics setting for FS2004 ?

Alastair1978 Guest

I had FS2004 running at full settings at 1920 x 1200 with constant 60 frames per second, but I changed a few things to try and tweak X-plane now I cant remember what I had as far as graphics options in the Nvidia windows advance graphics settings. Now when I run FS2004, i am getting frate rate drops down to 30 frames which I didnt have before even flying in the same city. Very annoying.

Can anyone check these to see if some are set incorrectly. I do want to keep a few settings, I have marked these with "KEEP" (I had these before I know for sure)

I have the following settings:

- Antialiasing Settings : 8xS "KEEP"
- Anostropic filtering : 16x "KEEP"
- Image settings : Quality "KEEP"
- Color profile : not available
- Vertical sync : On "KEEP"
- Force Mipmaps : trilinier "KEEP"
- Conformant texture clamp : off
- Extention Limit : off
- Hardware acceleration : Single display mode
- Triliner Optimisation : on
- Anisotropic mip filter optimisation : on
- Anisotropic sample optimisation : on
- Gamma correct antialiasing : off
- Transparency antialiasing : off
- Triple buffering : on "KEEP"
- Negative LOD bias: Clamp
- Threaded Optimisation : auto
- Open GL error reporting : on

Thanks in advance
Al

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

30 fps is faster than humans can detect, so what could possibly be very annoying?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

The higher the screen resolution the more resources it going to use.
I have the same max resolution but fly at 1600X1200X32.
Make sure you don't have AA checked in the settings section of the sim.

I would give my eye teeth for 30fps. 😀

Radar

Alastair1978 Guest

Yeah I realise 30 frames is "Supposed" to be un-noticable but it drops from 60 to 30 and it stutters badly when this happens (very noticable)
My point is, it was running flawlessly at 60 frames before... now its running crap 😞

BTW I am running :

- Dual core Athlon X2 4200 + CPU
- 2 gig DDR2 ram
- Geforce 7900 GTX with latest drivers
- 320 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Pro Member Trainee
Greg1138 Trainee

Alastair1978 wrote:

Yeah I realise 30 frames is "Supposed" to be un-noticable but it drops from 60 to 30 and it stutters badly when this happens (very noticable)
My point is, it was running flawlessly at 60 frames before... now its running crap 😞

BTW I am running :

- Dual core Athlon X2 4200 + CPU
- 2 gig DDR2 ram
- Geforce 7900 GTX with latest drivers
- 320 gig 7200 rpm hard drive

Altogether now?!?? MORE RAM!!!

No - kidding - I don't know - just wanted to be facetious for a mo......

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Cap it at 35-40 so you don't have a huge drop, that will stop the big change that causes the "slide show".

Radar

But I have been running it with frate rate at Unlimited and its been running fine. It must be one little setting that I messed up. Its driving me nuts

Jamie4590 Guest

Though time consuming I would put all your settings to low and then tweak them one by one checking performance each time.

Alastair1978 Guest

Though time consuming I would put all your settings to low and then tweak them one by one checking performance each time.

Yeah but what if its 2 things? then Im stuffed 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

But I have been running it with frate rate at Unlimited and its been running fine. It must be one little setting that I messed up. Its driving me nuts

A single tiny little add-on can be the cause of this. Even a single .dll module can be the culprit.
Retrace your steps.

Pro Member Trainee
Cager Trainee

Particularly scenery add-ons where they are not mip-mapped properly! I notice you have Force Mipmaps as a "Keep" - why do you need this? FS9 will use mipmaps if they are available.

If you don't have a CRT the other thing you can lose on your "Keep" list is Vertical Sync - it isn't needed on LCD's.

Finally, try running FS in a window rather than full-screen. Full-screen it is tied to the monitor's refresh rate - what is your monitor's refresh rate, by the way?

Al1978 Guest

I have a dell 24 LCD which I think has a refresh rate of 60 hz?

When I turn Vertical sync off, it looks horrible and gets screen tearing.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

My average fps has dropped to 10 from 25 after i formatted. It's meant to be the other way round no?....

Modern Guest

10, 25, and 30 fps? Really? 2020, we have 120, 90, and 60 fps.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...