FSX-Belleau Wood

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

FSX-Belleau Wood
Dead Link Removed.

This is beautiful, I wish I could do justice to it with my screens.
It has (as you see) constant AI traffic, aircraft and helicopters landing and taking off.
I just used it in one of the modes, steering it out to sea out of 76S-Oak Harbor Washington.

Comments more than welcome.

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This is a great offer RM - just what I've been looking for. I'm just reading through the Features and the way I understand it, you can pilot the carrier as you obviously did, AND you can use it for COPS, no traps but good for Choppers and Harriers. I think they forgot to mention the Osprey!

This omission is curious because Alphasim have a very nice Osprey... 🤔

The screenies are perfect RM, too good for me not wanting the USS Belleau Wood Drool Drool

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

You can alter the deck pitch, I had it on default which is light, heavy makes it more of a challenge to land.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you find the time to retrace those steps as to how to alter the deck pitch, maybe you could fill me in.
I got myself the fs9 version which appears to be less sophisticated in certain aspects, so maybe the deck pitch of my version can't be changed.

I made one discovery though: Unless I've misread the file description at the Alphasim site, I got the impression that carrierops were only possible with Helis and Harriers and the Osprey as I suspected. I've tried those three and yes, no problemo. Just gotta watch out for the quite busy AI traffic.

But here is the interesting part. In fs9 I have rcbco-20.zip installed. This retrofits the Belleau Wood in fs9 'automatically' with CAT and Wires.
With the aid of the CAT I managed to launch in an F-14 and a Grumman A-6 Intruder which, if the graphic display is up to scratch is not realistic at all because the wings of those a/c actually touch the Island and once I shot right through a Chinook in front of me.
The Harriers however fit on the deck - don't know if their total wingspan is so much less compared to the F-14 for example.

I have an excellent freeware Vought Corsair - they were used by the Allies toward the end of WWII in the Pacific Theater - it has a tailhook and a second panel (included in the download), complete with CAT launch gauge and edited panel.cfg for COPS.

Did a CAT launch, flew an airport pattern and recovered, catching a wire at the first attempt. I was quite thrilled.

Haven't figured out the elevators yet and found Hovercraft hovering "On Deck" 😳 I was curious about the sounds used in the Hovercraft and found that they're aliased to the default Cessna.

All in all I'm happy with this add-on. If nothing better is on the market by the time I have my rig running FSX to satisfaction, I'll get the FSX version as well. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

If you find the time to retrace those steps as to how to alter the deck pitch, maybe you could fill me in.
I got myself the fs9 version which appears to be less sophisticated in certain aspects, so maybe the deck pitch of my version can't be changed.

I made one discovery though: Unless I've misread the file description at the Alphasim site, I got the impression that carrierops were only possible with Helis and Harriers and the Osprey as I suspected. I've tried those three and yes, no problemo. Just gotta watch out for the quite busy AI traffic.

But here is the interesting part. In fs9 I have rcbco-20.zip installed. This retrofits the Belleau Wood in fs9 'automatically' with CAT and Wires.
With the aid of the CAT I managed to launch in an F-14 and a Grumman A-6 Intruder which, if the graphic display is up to scratch is not realistic at all because the wings of those a/c actually touch the Island and once I shot right through a Chinook in front of me.
The Harriers however fit on the deck - don't know if their total wingspan is so much less compared to the F-14 for example.

I have an excellent freeware Vought Corsair - they were used by the Allies toward the end of WWII in the Pacific Theater - it has a tailhook and a second panel (included in the download), complete with CAT launch gauge and edited panel.cfg for COPS.

Did a CAT launch, flew an airport pattern and recovered, catching a wire at the first attempt. I was quite thrilled.

Haven't figured out the elevators yet and found Hovercraft hovering "On Deck" 😳 I was curious about the sounds used in the Hovercraft and found that they're aliased to the default Cessna.

All in all I'm happy with this add-on. If nothing better is on the market by the time I have my rig running FSX to satisfaction, I'll get the FSX version as well. 😀

In the main (root) folder there is a Belleau Wood folder just after the Uires folder, it contains the sway folder, amongst others.
Check and see if you have that.

I didn't try landing, I just watched in fascination as the AI came and went.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'll check it out, thanks RM.

Pro Member Trainee
Pulp1 Trainee

Exceptional!!, Ive always had a fascination with aircraft carriers.

US ones especially as they are just so HUGE!

I hope and pray that the Royal Navy builds its 2 new Carriers although it is questionable at best as to whether we ever see them.

Pro Member Trainee
Noshadez Trainee

Looks like more carriers are starting to come about for FSX..the more the merrier 😎

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

Just to be clear, you have to fly to them right?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

Just to be clear, you have to fly to them right?

What you see there are their own AI that act on their own (pre made flight plans).
If you want to "park" it and land on it I don't see why you can't.

I'm sure it has a "hard deck" but if your looking for more carriers and landing jets buy Flight Deck from Flght1 or Justflight, whichever has it..
Radar

Pro Member First Officer

K. I cant spend 50 bucks and stuff 😛. I got a free AI Scenery Carrier. But i don't know where it is.

http://www.gameflood.com/Mashup/Index.cfm/Flight-Simulator-X-FSX-bgl/scenery-add-ons/AI-Carrier-Scenery/Display/intModID/8614

OR

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1308/fsx-ai-carrier-scenery/

Game Flood one you need some weird installer.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

K. I cant spend 50 bucks and stuff 😛. I got a free AI Scenery Carrier. But i don't know where it is.

http://www.gameflood.com/Mashup/Index.cfm/Flight-Simulator-X-FSX-bgl/scenery-add-ons/AI-Carrier-Scenery/Display/intModID/8614

OR

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1308/fsx-ai-carrier-scenery/

Game Flood one you need some weird installer.

They both look good.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer

What airport do i go to then what direction 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Razgr1z912 wrote:

What airport do i go to then what direction 😛

I'm afraid I missed something.
What do you mean, what are you looking for.

I don't have either of those downloads.

You want to land on a carrier, try one off the Golden Gate bridge in San Francisco or off San Diego near North Island air base.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Noshadez Trainee

The default carriers are great too.. but just a note if you have the new abacus flight deck 5 - abacuspub.com -it incorporates using any carrier as long as its as a (MDL) model and listed as a (boat) in its cfg (Category). for instance the veh_carrier01_high_detail_sm default FSX carrier is all ready set up with wires and launchers in FD5 with the program (3wireX) you can then create waypoints for it anywhere on the water and be able to trap and launch..you can also place boats as static and other stuff as scenery with it..

Pro Member Trainee
Noshadez Trainee

Thankz

Pro Member First Officer
honuala First Officer

there is a freeware carrier that is on the addon area during flights on fsx. you can have up to a 2 carrier fleet complete with acommpaning fleet. awsome addon i use it all the time and do cops all day long.go to avsim.com and search for "aicarriers2" download it,it has a self install and go injoy. i'll post pics up later today. so glad i got it

Pro Member Trainee
Noshadez Trainee

Kewl 😀

Pro Member Trainee
Noshadez Trainee

OK cooool!!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...