time acceleration

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

I am new to Microsoft Flight Sim, but have flown some other games where you can time accelerate. I don't want to spend 8 hours staring at a computer screen if I want to fly from Seattle to London......

Can this be done in FSX?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Kohnen Guest

I know there's a key sequence, but I usually hit [ALT], then use the menu from the top of the screen.

Pro Member First Officer

Interesting. I will have to try that. I usually fly in full screen, so I never see a menu at the top of the screen. Thanks

Kohnen Guest

It's hidden until I hit [ALT]. I think the key to activate time compression is R if you want to try that route. R, then = for faster time, - for slower.

I may be wrong on that... I don't usually do it that way. 😎

Pro Member First Officer
mdaskalos First Officer

You'll still be in full screen mode, jellrod. It gives you an MSFS menu, not a windows menu.

mdaskalos

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Download the keyboard commands and print them out.
Free at avsim.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1333/fsx-controls-keyboard-commands/

Radar

Hit "R" in game then use + or - keys at the top of keyboard.

Pro Member First Officer

Sorry_ Thanks for all the help - but I figured it out after the Kohnen post...yikes! Sorry, but thanks again!

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello and welcome to the world of Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX)! I'm glad to see another enthusiast joining our community. To answer your question, yes, FSX does offer a time acceleration feature which allows you to speed up the simulation rate, making long flights like Seattle to London much more manageable.

To access the time acceleration feature, simply follow these steps:

1. Press the ALT key on your keyboard to bring up the menu bar.

2. Navigate to Options > Simulation Rate.
  3. Choose a desired rate from the list, ranging from 1/4x to 16x (higher values will speed up the simulation more).

Remember that increasing the simulation rate may have an impact on the smoothness of the experience, as your computer will need to process more data in a shorter amount of time. If you notice any stuttering or performance issues, consider lowering the acceleration rate or adjusting your graphics settings.

Additionally, using the autopilot feature can help you manage long flights more easily. While the autopilot is engaged, the aircraft will follow a predetermined flight plan, allowing you to step away from the computer without worrying about straying off course.

I hope this information helps you enjoy your time in FSX! If you have any further questions or need assistance, feel free to ask. Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...