How important is spelling?

Pro Member First Officer
jelami First Officer

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers are in a wrod. The olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt

Pretty cool huh?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Elkinallen First Officer

Dude! 🤔

Wow!!! I was able to read that as quickly as I could have read it if it were,,,,, all spelled correctly!!!!

😳

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Interesting, I'm a fast reader and didn't have a problem but do when someone spells the words wrong or mixes them up.
Maybe I expected to see what you wrote so I was able to read it. Dont Know

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
Timothy (Moab) Trainee

I like to blame my big hands 😛 but most fishermen are not the best spellers, Got to work with GOD gives ya, but some times some ppl don't even try 😛 just my take.
Peace Timmay
AKA Moab

Pro Member Site Admin
Fly Away Simulation (Flyaway) Site Admin

Very interesting post - managed to read it with no problems - perhaps we skim the word and anticipate the next.

Pro Member First Officer
Jason (Av8r77) First Officer

It functions off the Gestalt principle.

Your mind can process words much faster than you can "read them to yourself."

Your mind sees patterns and recognizes words from the patterns that they form. Even if the letters are out of place, your mind can recognize them and form them into a context that you can understand and normalize, just like it was spelled correctly.

Basic Psych classes do this all the time to prove it in lab. They take things like words, pictures, even super heros and enemies. We can look at Batman and within a split second think of Robin. It's just pairing and matching what we are accustom to.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...