Speedup for fs9

crosscheck9 Guest

I'm not a whiz with computer like many on the forum, so I had to ask you an important question. When runnng speedup for fs9, how do I know which programs are safe to kill, and which one's I have to keep running? I'm afraid to kill and important program, eg. SYSTEM.exe

Answers 15 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

if you use a program called FSAutoStart:

www.kensalter.com/fsautostart (<- note, his page seems to be down rightnow)

Then you should be fine about picking the services to disable. I'm pretty sure Ken won't let you disable things that shouldn't be, and gives you descriptions of what each service does in a small pane. It'll also reccomend whether it's worth taking the time to disable or not. I've used that and never shut down anything major, and I have nearly the entire list checked!

crosscheck9 Guest

Thank you very much. I can just download it from Avsim since the website is down. Appreciate the help. 👍

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

I use both FS Autostart and Speedup, let me tell you why.

Speedup lets you defragment your memory as many times as you like, thus giving you the opportunity to free up a bigger amount of RAM.
After I defrag my memory with speedup a couple of times, then I open FS Autostart and use it to kill programs and do one final defrag.
If you only use FS Autostart you'll end up with a smaller amount of free ram.

When I defragment for the first time I usually go from 150 or so MB to 280....and the second I go up to 320. If you use fs autostart you'll only go up to the first number.

Obviously, if you have sufficient ram there's no problem, but when every bit of ram you can free is an enormous difference then this process becomes useful.

Let us know how you do...

crosscheck9 Guest

I started up Autostart and tried the sim and did find a difference in the performance, but now the I exited the sim, FSAutostart didn't return the computer to the state it was in before, eg. The theme has changed, and I can't find the Windows XP theme in Properties. Please help. What do I have to do to change this.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Click the appearance tab.

Radar

crosscheck9 Guest

I did - It's not their either. All the tasks that I have asked to be killed are stopped - I don't know where to go to restart them. I've looked all over the menu's, but still can't find it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

I did - It's not their either. All the tasks that I have asked to be killed are stopped - I don't know where to go to restart them. I've looked all over the menu's, but still can't find it.

You right clicked on the desktop, got a menu, clicked on properties and got the Display window and cant find XP in appearance or themes?
Did you reboot.

Radar

crosscheck9 Guest

Yup - I didn't reboot yet. Going to reboot now.

crosscheck9 Guest

I rebooted and got everything back, but does this mean I have to reboot everytime I finish using the sim?

Pro Member First Officer
rob (Habu) First Officer

Yes you do...what's wrong with rebooting???

crosscheck9 Guest

My computer hasn't been at the top of it's game - it takes at least 20 minutes to reboot, unless i pull the plug

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Never pull the plug. Push in your button on the tower (case) for the count of ten (or less) and it'll shut itself down.

Rebooting brings all the programs back on line, all you did was shut them off, not delete them entirely.

There an old joke about Windows, but if you have a problem that you can't solve reboot and there's a good chance it'll solve itself.

Radar

A electrical engineer, a chemical engineer, and a Microsoft engineer are riding in the same car.
Suddenly, the car breaks down and the engineers propose ideas to fix it.

The electrical engineer says that there may be a problem with the cars circuit, lets find broken links.

The chemical engineer says that maybe there is a fuel leak, lets find it.

Finally, the Microsoft engineer says: lets close all the windows, get out, and then get back in.

crosscheck9 Guest

Hehe - Thanks for the information and the tips radarman - I'm going to go with you advice.

PS: That joke you have is hilarious. 👏

Will the speedup and autostart programs work with fsx?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Will the speedup and autostart programs work with fsx?

They should.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...