ILS Approach: hmmm.... maybe something I'm doing wrong?

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

WEll, it seems to be.

I followed the ILS approach tutorial that's listed in this forum (under General Section). Right after the part where the ATC gives the call for "...cleared ILS runway, altitude and localizer.", I check the destination airport to get the runway ILS settings. Then I set the CRS and turn on the NAV1 radio and set the runway frequency. The aircraft started heading away from the airport (or so it seemed) because when I checked the map, I was waaaaay off course. So, I assumed something had been set wrong. I heard the "clearance for land" call but nothing happened. I thought the plane was going to start heading toward the airport at that point. But it didn't. So, switched GPS/NAV switch to NAV then the jet suddenly headed toward the airport but it started circling... I believe it circled twice before I terminated the flight in my thinking that I had screwed something up.

Any suggestions? What did I miss?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

When tower says turn right heading xxx, climb and maintain yyyy contact tower.........is when you switch you GPS/NAV to NAV because that's what tells the a/c that you're using the navigation, which you have to use with the radio.

Pro Member First Officer
Heyjoojoo First Officer

So, the GPS/NAV switch should be already set on GPS initially? because it's usually already set to NAV from the moment of takeoff and I dont touch it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Heyjoojoo wrote:

So, the GPS/NAV switch should be already set on GPS initially? because it's usually already set to NAV from the moment of takeoff and I dont touch it.

If you are using you GPS for autopilot navigation, than GPS/Nav switch shold be on GPS. NAV is used for ILS approach.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The ILS isn't a wonder machine designed to pull you in to the runway from the depths of the countryside.

You need to engage the APP roughly 10 miles or less from the runway threshold. In clear weather, you will be able to see the runway from there. You will also need to set the NAV/GPS switch to NAV.

GPS is strictly for GPS flying / navigation. NAV is used for all NAV aids including VOR/ DME, NDB etc.

Yurdanur Guest

I can't believe how big iLOCi2 is in Australia and Russia! Looks like we just need to work on Northern and Central Aftrica and Greenland! All too soon to come tuohgh

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...