FMC and ATC

Pro Member Trainee
aob9 Trainee

Further to a recent post I have received some useful information on how to configure the FMC on on PMDG B737/800.The most informative info was found on this link http://www.fsstation.com/tutorials/boeing-pmdg-737ng.html . I have one question though. How do get ATC and the FMC to be on an equal playing field?

For example, according to what I have learned using the above link we have entered Runway 11 into the FMC and then we are asked to request take off clearance when reaching R11 treshhold. As I understand MS FS2004 you have to REQUEST IFR departure info from ATC before push back and THEY select the departure route ( Runway etc ) for you. This is then automatically entered into the route data. You are guided by ATC to your destination and approach.

When using the FMC on PMDG B737 there appears to be a bit of a conflict here unless I am missing something ( I hope I am ).

To me the ultimate flight sim experience would be to enter all the info in the FMC and then have ATC tie in for the flight as in the 'real' world. I also have FS Traffic 2005 installed and it would be great to hear ATC interaction throughout my simulated flight.

Regards

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

You're going to get much better replied than what I'm going to give you but here goes. In order to reach your destination, you have to follow the ATC instructions. The FMC is just a guidance of where you should be at which point; for instance at waypoint ABC you must be at FL180, at waypoint XYZ you must be at 5'000 feet etc... It does control speed, heading, climb/descent but it's basically a way of controlling your flight procedure; hence Flight Management Computer/Control.[/b]

Pro Member Trainee
aob9 Trainee

Thanks for that. At least I am getting a picture of how I can approach this.Do you think the following set up procedure would work?

A/ Select my departure and arrival airport on standard FS2004 'create a flight' page.

B/ Select my departure gate and Aircraft (PMDG B737/800)

C/ Once I am set up at departure request IFR clearance delivery, runway and initial heading and altitude from ATC.

D/ Before push back, set up my FMC using the details received from ATC ( where available )

I'm still not sure how all this will fit together i.e when FS 2004 ATC give IFR clearance they generally instruct you to follow to follow the route set up in the GPRS. This may not agree with the route set up in the FMC. I don't know, maybe this is way over my head.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

Well the FMC would just establish waypoints on the route....it's up to you then if you alter the altitude at which you will fly over these points.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Actually, although I have never checked, I think that if your FPL in the FMC matches the IFR plan you file in FS (same waypoints) ATC just might cooperate with you. You probably will have trouble with SID's, STAR's and altitudes though.

Pro Member Trainee
aob9 Trainee

Does all of this really mean that if you install PMDG ( or any third party )aircraft that you should expect to forego ATC interaction? For me this is one of the best aspects of FS2004 and FSX.

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

well - obviously I can't specifically speak for you, but the general feeling against the more experienced simmers - as far as I can conclude from opinions expressed on the forum anyway - is that the FS9 ATC basically...sucks.
Well perhaps that's slightly strong, but it is not that advanced compared to the real thing anyway.

But indeed - I don't see any other way. You may be forced to make that decision, either follow ATC and ignore the pretty departure and arrival routes, or fly properly and ignore ATC.

OR - Program the entire SID / STAR into the flightplan that you file, but that probably won't work either, because ATC could quite well assign you a different landing runway then what you were expecting....

Sorry. FS9 just has it's flaws...

Pro Member Trainee
aob9 Trainee

Okay, but you are approaching a busy airport ( such as Heathrow) and lined up for landing only to find FS9 has pushed an aircraft onto your runway........just in time to ruin your flight,am I correct? ❓

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

This is known to happen, yes...
Not often, but it does.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...