747 Elevator Trim Setting

can anyone tell me what the elevator trim should be set at prior to takeoff. I've tried it at 0 and the plane just takes a really long time to get off the ground and you can never lift up at Vrot. An elevator trim setting of 2.7 makes it really easy to get off the ground but its harder to control your climb because the plane just tends to pitch up too high. I know this is not pilot language but if anyone understands my quandry, can you please help me. Thanks in advance

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

can anyone tell me what the elevator trim should be set at prior to takeoff. I've tried it at 0 and the plane just takes a really long time to get off the ground and you can never lift up at Vrot. An elevator trim setting of 2.7 makes it really easy to get off the ground but its harder to control your climb because the plane just tends to pitch up too high. I know this is not pilot language but if anyone understands my quandry, can you please help me. Thanks in advance

2.0 seems to work well. The trim effects the force on the controls not the time required to reach T/O speed. Don't for get to use 20 degrees of flaps and rotate to about 10 degrees initially(more as to help control speed) at about 171 KIAS. You will have to re-trim the aircraft as speed, attitude and altitude changes, the 2.0 is just the starting point. Before you get to 3000 ft., you'll be adjusting the trim(hand flying). A 747 fully loaded takes alot of runway.

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

Here are the settings for 5 degrees flaps T.O.

Heaviest 875000 lbs = Trim 1.5 degrees
" AutoPilot fpm ready at 2200

Midweight 663000 lbs = Trim 1.1 degrees
" A.P. fpm ready at 3200

Lightest 452000 lbs = Trim 0.8 degrees
" A.P. fpm ready at 4300

Interpolate between these figures for any weight at T.O.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...