Afterburners

Pro Member Trainee
cartsy1 Trainee

Anyone know 🙂 Are afterburners are visible in fsx?? I get an increase of speed but no visible burn on any of the aircraft I've downloaded..

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

cartsy1 wrote:

Anyone know 🙂 Are afterburners are visible in fsx?? I get an increase of speed but no visible burn on any of the aircraft I've downloaded..

Welcome to Flyaway 🍻
You can see them in FS9 so I would think that the same would be true for FSX. The download has to include a file for the Afterburner effect(goes in the effects folder). Some aircraft don't come with this effect or it's included later as an update.

Note- before someone says it again, I don't have FSX.

Last edited by CRJCapt on Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

exactly what capt said it all dependso nt he plane.

Pro Member Trainee
CAFedm Trainee

With exception to only a few planes, afterburners are generated by effects files as mentioned above (look for something like flankerburner.fx in your downloaded aircraft files). They would then need to be copied into your main Effects folder in FSX to display. There are however some older aircraft (that probably wouldn't work in FSX) that have afterburners created as "parts" that show up when the engine rpm's get to a certain level. Again the latter is uncommon these days, as the effects files give a superior rendition in comparison.

You might try the following keys to engage afterburner; Shift+F4, and O (the latter toggles strobes, to which many afterburner effects are assigned).

Pro Member Trainee
cartsy1 Trainee

Thanks for the tips, I'd already pasted the folder in effects but no luck.The planes I downloaded were the sr71 & the f16, not overly worried about it as I don't use them much. I am mainy using the c172 getting practice cause I'm about to start training for my pilots license.. Woohoo

IF your AFTERBURNERS don't show up just find thu button command that turns all lights on and press it

axe Guest

you may try and find the afterburner file in the effects folder in FSX.
and you could add(type) that file in your aircraft configuration note pad under
[AFFECTS] <<axe>>

axe Guest

axe wrote:

you may try and find the afterburner file in the effects folder in FSX.
and you could add(type) that file in your aircraft configuration note pad under
[EFFECTS] <<axe>>

may look like this for example because i don't know the exact effects files name, and hast to be typed exactly.

[EFFECTS]
afterburner= fx_filename
may have to type a 0, 1, or 2 after it with a comma before it
example
[EFFECTS]
afterburner= fx_filename, 1

axe Guest

my apologies, i made a mistake when i said to edit the aircraft cfg. under [EFFECTS]!!! 😞
first it appears the air file the plane you are using has to have the afterburner configured in the air file .(it apears your afterburner works)
2nd sometimes you place the files or it may be the subfolder that you place into effects in your main flight sim. double check the authors read me instructions.
3rd you are to add the effects under [LIGHTS], use the next number and add the effect ; example as on the f16 viper that uses the toronado reheat
this plane had a subfolder and a file moved into effects and used both for the reheat.

[LIGHTS]
light.17=6, -19.2, 0.0, 4.0, fx_afaburner
light.18=6, -22.2, 0.0, 0.37, efall.fx
-19.2 would be yer contact point(lenght), in this case it is -19.2 behind the 0(zero)point on the plane .
0.0 is the (lateral) point, in this case right about dead center of aircraft.
4.0 is the (vertical) position, in this case slightly above the zero contact point.
the zero point of the aircraft is usually determined by how the author placed the 3 view drawings into G-max or design studio; sometimes its by default, sometimes they did mip it at about quarter chord(.25 percent back of the main wings)

type is critical when typing this in aircraft cfg. for it to work.
there used to be a assignment key under joystick in msflight sim. for afterburners.
some do engage by just simply at full throttle or the author of the plane, assigned a special key command.
hope you see your reheat; we did it different on early boeng 707 and douglas dc8's to imitate water ethynal boost. happy flying-AXE

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...