FSX SP1 is Live!

PhilTaylor2 Guest

I am pleased to announce that FSX SP1 is now live for downloading!

Check the fsinsider site

I have some important blog posts that need to be read:
FSX SP1 is now live!
FSX SP1😛reparing to Install
FSX SP1:Aircraft and Scenery Fixes
FSX SP1:Missions, MultiPlayer, and Misc Fixes
FSX SP1:SDK, SimConnect, and 3rd party fixes
FSX SP1😛erformance work
FSX SP1:New tweaks

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1950/microsoft-flight-simulator-x-service-pack-1/

Answers 55 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

What does this service pack do exactly to fsx? And good find by the way.
Nevermind I looked it up on their site. Thanks for posting this news.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

wow this is amazing I used to run scenery on medium low now I run on ultra high.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

so, now, after i have installed it, i read the blog and see that they want me to uninstall all my add ons? is that right? so what is the deal there?
i'm not sure i understand. i installed it, and flew arouns a little and had no problems. do i need to uninstall all my aircraft, and re- install the patch now? then what? what is rtm? what am i supposed to do there? delete it? it just seems not very clear to me. when i test flew a couple planes i saw a very mild frame increase, but the graphics were noticeably better, and the performance was much smoother. if i do this other thing it may get better still?

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

Okay I am on this!!!!! I can't wait to see what will happend after this!!! 😀 Just think, I was committed to wait till I get back from the field.... Thanks guys!! 😎

Have anyone tried it out yet? I'm just about to download it.

Meanwhile how is it?

Pro Member Captain

Its like a half of an hour download....so be patient! 😀 Personally, I like to see what will happen with the dual core processor I have: I read that Intel are designing their processors with FSX in mind.

I was looking at the new tweaks on PTaylors weblog; one in particular: a tweak to control the scheaduling of threads on cores. I am curious to know would this be necessary to use on my Athlon 62 X2. 😕

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

I GOT EVERYTHING MAXED OUT WITH SWEET GRAPHICS!! 😳 😳 😳 😳

yeah me too 😛 I have a core 2 Duo and can't wait !

mpan3 Guest

I can confirm that SP1 is GREAT! I am running FSX maxed out and still maintaining a solid 30fps.

Both of my cores (core 2 duo @ 3.0Ghz) is at near-full usage now.

At the same setting, the performance basically doubled. Aces was way too conservative to quote 20%-40% performance increase😀

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

WELL did you guys have to unistall your add-on aircraft and scenery or not?

mpan3 Guest

i have a relatively clean installation of FSX with just 2 addon aircraft. SP1 didn't have any trouble with those, and all the saved flights and settings seems to be fine.

I can't speak for those of you who have tons of addons, though.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I think the issue is whether the add-ons are freeware or payware...?

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Well that was a let down. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. And my machine is running Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700, 2gigs of ram and a 8800GTX w/ XP. What a piece of Censored . Thanks a lot Microsoft, may I have another?

Censored by Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

"Notice: Third-party content requires VS 2005 SP1 to successfully load. Third-party content developed for FSX using VS 2005 SP1 requires the new VS 2005 SP1 redistributable file, available here: Download"

I don't do cryptics damn it Evil or Very Mad I didn't use cryptic money when I paid for FSX!!

Pro Member Captain

At only 6 to 10 FPS at max settings, it was pretty fast. I did my usual: first the ultralight, then the Airbus 380-800. Weird thing is.... I ran out of memory!!!! So I know that the SP1 is good...... now all I have to do is spool up the computer itself: I downloaded the Dual Core Optimizer from AMD and I am going to start overclocking again. Somehow I think the Intel CPU are benefiting from this upgrade better than AMD. I forgot: I AM running Vista and I have the extra bells and whistles running also. Probally pick up another gig of RAM...... 😉

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

PTaylor quoted; "SP1 needs a pristine RTM. That includes no add-ons. Many 3rd party add-ons can cause crashes."

Oldsamer asks; "HUH?"

Pro Member Trainee
falconxxx Trainee

How does one go about installing this patch exactly?
Do you just download it to Flight SimulatorX ???

This is just HOT STUFF !

Usually I can't see any of the jetways or traffic in the airport...
But now I am running with full autogen and max graphics!

Thanks Mr. Taylor, you're the man ! 🙂

By the way, how can you see how many frame rates you have at the very moment ?

Pro Member First Officer
GoodisonBlue First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

This is just HOT STUFF !

Usually I can't see any of the jetways or traffic in the airport...
But now I am running with full autogen and max graphics!

Thanks Mr. Taylor, you're the man ! 🙂

By the way, how can you see how many frame rates you have at the very moment ?

shift+z

Oh no , my FSX isn't working, beacuse of the program Crying or Very sad

Does anyone have the same problem. It worked the first 10 minutes, and then it stopped working .

bobbyz Guest

Anyone get this error when they try to install SP1?

Pro Member Trainee
Edward Clarke (Ed_) Trainee

Sno0ze wrote:

Well that was a let down. I didn't notice any difference whatsoever. And my machine is running Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6700, 2gigs of ram and a 8800GTX w/ XP. What a piece of Censored . Thanks a lot Microsoft, may I have another?

You're the first I've heard that hasn't had any visible results from the patch which lends me to believe either it's not installed correctly or you've got previous tweaks negating the performance benefits of SP1.

There are definitely big gains from SP1. Try reinstalling it.

Censored by Radar

physix Guest

wow,

suddenly FSX runs quite good! I had a 50% performance gain on my AMD Athlon64 4000+ and dual GF 6600GT... with full screen glare disabled I can max out scenery setting and still get nice FPS around 20 (in the waterplane over caribean island intro).

This gives you an idea on how unbelievable crappy FSX was coded in the first place. When I first noticed that my graphic card loadout was on 15-20% running the game on 5-10 fps I couldn't believe my eyes.

The SP is nothing to cheer about, it just moved the game in the direction of where it should have been right from the start performance-wise.

Another example of the more than poor programming style and policy at MS is the installation routine for the SP. Without asking you it assumes you want to use partition C: as temporal storage (I mean - who wouldn't?) and gives out an error if there is less than 1,5 GB of space available. Nevermind the fact I have 12 GB free on the partition where FSX is installed, I actually had to resize C: just for the installation...

I usually work with linux, and when you do that, it gets harder and harder to accept all those really unacceptable weaknesses of windows just to play your games. I am really sick of being locked out of my own computer by an operating system I have to spend money for

Pro Member First Officer
n7xlq1 First Officer

Well, when I installed the file I got this error message:

Error 1328 applying patch to file C:\program files\microsoft games\Microsoft flight Simulator X\scenery\1002\scenery\evx8616.bgl. it has probably has been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more info contact your patch vendor.

Then it gave options of retry, ignore or cancel. I hit retry and it went ok..

I'm running it on minimal settings right now, so far I haven't seen any difference since before the patch, What does everyone else think?

x pilot Guest

Hi

have just downloaded it, I maxed everything out then created a flight with the weather just at normal. When it loaded up there were green blocks on the screen, then it finally sorted it self out! I was in a built up area and i was getting 4.2fps, once out over the country it went up too 12.5fps and was abit smoother, abit sticky over the city! i also have the scenery patch so i dont understand this?

my system is:

AMD 64 3500+ 2200Mhz

Geforce 7600GT 256mb Graphics card

2 Gb corseair RAM

250Gb hard drive

550watt power supply

Windows Vista Business

Do you think a upgrade to a dual core processor will help abit in the slight stuttering with it maxed out? i have defraged and done a disk clean up before running!

cheers[/code]

Pro Member Captain

x pilot wrote:

Hi

have just downloaded it, I maxed everything out then created a flight with the weather just at normal. When it loaded up there were green blocks on the screen, then it finally sorted it self out! I was in a built up area and i was getting 4.2fps, once out over the country it went up too 12.5fps and was abit smoother, abit sticky over the city! i also have the scenery patch so i dont understand this?

my system is:

AMD 64 3500+ 2200Mhz

Geforce 7600GT 256mb Graphics card

2 Gb corseair RAM

250Gb hard drive

550watt power supply

Windows Vista Business

Do you think a upgrade to a dual core processor will help abit in the slight stuttering with it maxed out? i have defraged and done a disk clean up before running!

cheers[/code]

You running Vista Business with a Athlon 64 processor that low? You should see bad performance just on the OS alone!!! What is your Vista performance rating? A dual core processor will absolutely kick your computer into high gear, but you should see a significant improvement with FSX also.

Pro Member Trainee
chlorinekid Trainee

looking forward to trying this 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
jetman35 First Officer

In flying from Montana to Jackson Hole, I am getting frame rates unheard of. I have been getting fluctuations from 40 up to 110 fps!! It seems to run better when I have the fps set to unlimited.

Jetman

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I cant wait to see what happens with my frame rates... I found the game to be very enjoyable and already had things maxed out... Im already getting very high frames but get the occasional stuttering... I just hope that stopped. I have to wait until friday when I get home from my business trip before I can do anything... argh!

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Well,I installed it but not sure yet how much of an improvement. I have to play with it more. It's getting late.
The first mission loaded rather quickly, much faster than before, but other missions took the normal time.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

Ed_ wrote:

Sno0ze wrote:

You're the first I've heard that hasn't had any visible results from the patch which lends me to believe either it's not installed correctly or you've got previous tweaks negating the performance benefits of SP1.

Censored by Radar

It's definitely installed correctly, the installer said so itself. I don't have any previous tweaks hampering it since I completely reinstalled FSX. Wiped everything for the SP. And so far, I've seen absolutely no difference. I'm on a diff computer this time so I'm going to try it with that, tbh I was just a little pee'd off earlier and my apologies for the uncencored language. I hope it gives me some real benefits with this computer, only thing is it's spec is much lower than the last. Again, my apologies to everyone including Phil/Microsoft since that wasn't particularly fair. 😀

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

X Pilot

The SP1 was mostly aimed at multi-core instances. Phil had mentioned that there would be some fixes for single core HW, however, the results to be seen were for those using dual/quad core.

Its a harsh reality for those who have not upgraded, however, single cores are truely being left behind in the world and with the addition of so many developers catering to the multi-threaded world, multi-cores will be a necessity, not a luxury, and for those without, impossible to move forward with future software.

You can at the very least get a Dual Core Pentium D 805 chip for $59 at new-egg... I would consider that the absolute bare minimum for todays standards, and the true "Celeron" of the dual core world. Core2Duo E6420's can be had for $200 brand new. Consider it.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Sno0ze wrote:

Ed_ wrote:

Sno0ze wrote:

Censored by Radar

It's definitely installed correctly, the installer said so itself. I don't have any previous tweaks hampering it since I completely reinstalled FSX. Wiped everything for the SP. And so far, I've seen absolutely no difference. I'm on a diff computer this time so I'm going to try it with that, tbh I was just a little pee'd off earlier and my apologies for the uncencored language. I hope it gives me some real benefits with this computer, only thing is it's spec is much lower than the last. Again, my apologies to everyone including Phil/Microsoft since that wasn't particularly fair. 😀

I dont get it... your system is very state of the art, but what you havent mentioned is, what was your system running FSX like BEFORE the patch? What is it running it at now? Something is wrong and must be addressed... are you expecting to see a 450842254345 FPS increase?

My E6300 modified system is running the game so well now, its hard for me to imagine an increase (havent installed yet) and based on these reports, Im expecting to hit 100fps. I would imagine that you have to be near there also.

Pro Member Trainee
Craig (Sno0ze) Trainee

I wish that was true lol Langevin. Maybe the first time it didn't install properly. I was hoping to see maybe a increase of 20 or 30 fps, but there was no difference. One thing to note tho is, that comp that I first installed it on was having some problems. It's actually boxed up now and ready to go back to Alienware, and I hope to build my own comp within the next 5 days or so. We'll see how things go once thats ready, hopefully SP1 will bring many good things my way soon.

Pro Member First Officer
2robplaying First Officer

Please censor the last post, and block him/her/it.

x pilot Guest

gee that post was abit harsh considering i work and earn my own money to pay for stuff! i suppose you help people and then some help you and then you get comments like that?

oh well hopefully he finds a website where there is alot of hate!

on the lighter note thanks for the helpfull replies, to answer some of the questions asked, Vista is giving me a score of 4.2, i am using the 32bit version of vista. The cheapest quote i got on a new dual core processor was 150 euros, the best i can fit in my mobo etc at the moment, so if its going to give me a boost and then i reckon i will get it then and see how it goes, hopefully well!

and hater have a nice day to you too....

Pro Member Captain

hater wrote:

You really think anyone is interested in your fucking power supply, you pathetic loser? When do you people stop being proud of something your parents paid for you and you aren't even remotely able to understand?

Ah....you just mad cause somebody paid for their system and you didn't. Sucks to you, huh? 🙄

Don't sweat it though....when you decide to get off the library computers and build your own system, we'll be here....waiting to help. 😉

xpilot:

I think I mentioned this before, you need to get a new processor. That AMD 64 3500+ processor will not handle the demand Vista needs, let alone FSX..... go get a Dual Core Processor.

x pilot Guest

Gundam i will thanks for the advice, the conversation was rudly abrupted by that "hater" person, oh well.

i am shopping around now for one, the problem the computer shop tell me is that mobo is 939 socket but there is dual core for it so i will be purchasing it as soon as it arrives and will let you know what boost i get from it,

thanks for the back up for getting rid of friend lol

cheers

Pro Member Trainee
symbolman Trainee

Hi,
Without getting into mega technical details. But I am Intel Core 2 duo and Mobility Radeon x1900 with 256 MB, and running Vista on a laptop.
After downloading SP1 - I've moved up from medium high to high on scenery and medium high to high on graphics. It could almost run on max on the graphics, but was a little stuttery.
I've got weather on medium low and airplanes on medium high.
I'm pretty pleased with all that, but may do a little further experimentation.

fsx99 Guest

i just installed the SP1 and didn't notice the peformance boost until I disabled vsync within my video card control panel.....wow it is an improvment indeed !!! good job MS 🙂

wilma Guest

is it me or are there alot less trees now in the scenery ??

installed SP1 and it didnt make any difference to my fsx speed (still slow) except that now I have the blurries!

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

Well, there wasnt a WHOLE lot of improvement for me, but then again, how could there be? Im still getting 50+fps in dense areas and over 100 in rural areas. I do have all the sliders maxed out besides water, and I think in order to gain more, it will be time to upgrade the 7600GTKO... its been good to me, thats for sure! I will post some screenshots soon.

delaypat Guest

fsx99 wrote:

i just installed the SP1 and didn't notice the peformance boost until I disabled vsync within my video card control panel.....wow it is an improvment indeed !!! good job MS 🙂

I did the same and noticed some change...not much, but what can you expect from an AMD 64 2.2ghz nvidia 6100 with 1gb of ram...Its time to update, but only when I get money that is..LOL!!

Inbox7 Guest

Ugg.

With great anticipation, I installed SP1 on a clean install of FSX. Previously, I was running FSX tweaked

My specs are:
AMD 4400+
2GB Memory, 1TB HD
8800 GTX OC Nvidia graphics card running at 1920x1080, 32bit with Ansiotropic filter
Fresh install of Vista
I checked the about screen for FSX and confirmed SP1 installed

Before, I was getting around 24fps on the runway at Seatac airport. After Sp1, I DROPPED to 12fps. Checked settings, tried tweaks, etc, etc...best I could get was 15fps.

Months of development by Microsoft programmers can't beat a few tweaks from FS enthusiasts?? I would laugh if I wasn't so disappointed.

I'm hopeful new tweaks will be available soon that patch the patch.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

What size is your monitor? Why running it on such a high resolution? Thats part of a low FPS problem, even for before. If you dropped it to 1600 or so, you could even get more.

I have an HD 46" display running at 1920x1080 (1080p)

I know the resolution will effect the FPS but what I don't understand is why I was getting higher numbers before the service pack upgrade. The tweaks from a website did better than the experts at Microsoft.

I dropped 10FPS after the "upgrade". UGGGG. Frustrating. I have a dual core processor with the fastest video card on the market and all I can manage is 12-15FPS unless I crank down the display settings.

All the other games I own manage 4 to 5 times the frame rates of Flight Simulator.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Inbox7 wrote:

Ugg.

With great anticipation, I installed SP1 on a clean install of FSX. Previously, I was running FSX tweaked

My specs are:
AMD 4400+
2GB Memory, 1TB HD
8800 GTX OC Nvidia graphics card running at 1920x1080, 32bit with Ansiotropic filter
Fresh install of Vista
I checked the about screen for FSX and confirmed SP1 installed

Before, I was getting around 24fps on the runway at Seatac airport. After Sp1, I DROPPED to 12fps. Checked settings, tried tweaks, etc, etc...best I could get was 15fps.

Months of development by Microsoft programmers can't beat a few tweaks from FS enthusiasts?? I would laugh if I wasn't so disappointed.

I'm hopeful new tweaks will be available soon that patch the patch.

You haven't mentioned whether or not you undid the tweaks prior to installing the SP1:

NOTE: DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE WITH THE NEWLY RELEASED FSX SP1

Many of the tweaks are no longer relevant and may seriously degrade performance! The guide will be updated for SP1 soon.

Yep, clean install of both FSX and Vista. No tweaks were applied before the service pack update.

Average FPS at Seatac before SP1 (Tweaked version) - 24fps on the ground, 40-60fps in the air

Average FPS at Seatac after SP1 (Tweaks removed as mentioned) - 12-14fps on the ground, 25-35 in the air.

I carefully applied the exact graphic/detail settings in both situations and measured at the same times under the same weather conditions.

I have removable hard drives that I can swap out. On one is the before setup (Vista+Tweaked version), on the other is the Vista+SP setup. I can reproduce the same results every time.

I have problem too.

my airplane rendering is non-existent. the plane looks like a ghost.

i am trying to find out what is the problem.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I have problem too.

my airplane rendering is non-existent. the plane looks like a ghost.

i am trying to find out what is the problem.

Without knowing all your computer specs I can only guess.
Your video card is too old or too weak to render the textures.
If this happens on all aircraft then get a new card or at least try new video drivers.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
nathan_hallworth Trainee

i am having problems with microsoft flight sim x
it keep closing to desktop.
every time i try and fly the game just crashes

my computer spec is :

intel core 2 extreme x6800 2.93GHz
4 gb of ddr2ram
2x 512mb graphics card (not sure which models)
and vista ultimate

anyone got any ideas how to fix this ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

nathan_hallworth wrote:

i am having problems with microsoft flight sim x
it keep closing to desktop.
every time i try and fly the game just crashes

my computer spec is :

intel core 2 extreme x6800 2.93GHz
4 gb of ddr2ram
2x 512mb graphics card (not sure which models)
and vista ultimate

anyone got any ideas how to fix this ❓

Delete the log file and it should start again.

Nice setup.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...