Vista Home Basic and FSX

Pro Member Trainee
Mavix Trainee

Will Vista Home Basic handle FSX? Will XP(SP2) be better? Also, does Vista Home Basic support DirectX 10? Lastly, is DirectX 10 out yet?
Thanks

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Vista basic will handle FSX as well as any other Vista because FSX is a DX9 program. Vista runs DX9 programs with DX9L.

XP(SP2) runs FSX using DX9c while using about 1/2 as much "resource" (mainboard RAM) as Vista.

No documentation has stated Vista basic does NOT support DX10 programs. DX10 is "OUT" in so far as Vista will suppport DX10 programs. FSX is not a native DX10 program. A free FSX patch that allows FSX to use some of the features of DX10 will be available in 4th quarter 2007.

Pro Member Trainee
Mavix Trainee

OK thanks for the info! But, on a lower spec computer, wouldn't FSX run slower on Ultimate because of the 3D desktop(which I would assume uses up resources which FSX could be using)?

Pro Member Trainee
Mavix Trainee

So which would be better for FSX, XP Home or Vista Home Basic, both with DX9 graphics card? And which of these would better and more compatible with Vista, ATI or Nvidia?

Pro Member First Officer
oldsamer First Officer

Yes, you are correct about "resouce" usage by Vista desktop compared to Xp(Sp2). And yes, on a lower spec system that will slow down FSX.

edit.. I'm happy running FSX on Xp(SP2), but I have core2Duo, 2 gb of 800mhz ram (FSX uses 1.2 gb average) and 768mbGTX8800. I won't consider Vista basic upgrade untill the FSX DX10 patch is available.

I prefer nVida only because AMD owns ATI now and AMDs' website confuses me, also ATI drivers seem to have a mind of their own.

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

Mavix wrote:

OK thanks for the info! But, on a lower spec computer, wouldn't FSX run slower on Ultimate because of the 3D desktop(which I would assume uses up resources which FSX could be using)?

Windows Vista automsttically turns Aero off when FSX is running just to let you know.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...