I really should start building PCs!!

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

I was reading the latest issue of Computer Shopper, and of course, there are Alienware ads all over it. My first real Gaming Rig was an Alienware Area-51 Aurora, and it did the job for about a year. I to this day still use an alienware Area-51 M5500 laptop for work, and have resold 3 other Alienwares, and am very familiar with the company. But what I am about to tell you just REAKS of foul play, and it just isnt right...

I have been toying with the idea of taking some my investments and taking a real chance and begin to build PCs on the side, and perhaps turn it into something larger. But when I read an article on the brand new $8,180 Area-51 Aurora with the following specs...

-Intel Core2Extreme Quad-Core 2.66ghz (overclocked to 3.4ghz)
-2GB of DDR2 Undisclosed Speed Memory (dirt cheap right now)
-2x NVidia GeForce 8800GTX SLI
-2x 150GB 10kRPM Raptor Drives in Raid 0 (operating system)
-500GB 7200rpm SeaGate Drive
-SoundBlaster X-Fi Extreme Gamer Sound Card
-2x Blu-Ray DVD/RW Burner ($499!!!!!!!! Not Necessary!)
-1000w Power Supply
-Swiftech Liquid Cooling (Alienware uses their own system, its sub par IMO)
-Windows Vista Ultimate

Now, I went into NewEgg.com and built this SAME EXACT PC SPEC TO SPEC and it cost $4,780.87 I did not include tax, because the sticker price of the Aurora also does not include tax. That is a difference of $3399.13 worth of markup... Now, I know that Alienware has employees, a store in Miami, etc... but if you look at the BBB and claims against them, their Customer Server leaves MUCH to be desired!!

As anyone who has EVER dealt with PC parts/system, you will know that if you can make $500 per PC, that is a GREAT profit margin... but $3400?!?!? Thats all name...

I suppose that this post is nothing more than a Rant and Vent session, but I just cant stand it anymore... Its almost what pushes me over the edge to take the risky plunge into my own small business. Heck, I already have a CPA, Business License, Resellers Permit. and web servers...

In case you didnt realize, the parts I gathered information from is still considered retail, and not wholesale, which could knock a good 10-15% off my price of building. All I need is customers! Ive already built severl units, and even one this weekend for a customer...

And just to make this post legal in this forum... I could advertise these machines as "FSX Dominators" lol

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I agree Alien overcharges just for the case look.
Now that it's owned by Dell I wouldn't touch it with a fork.
Here is a company, very poor customer service, not good tech support and go check the opinions and complaints about shoddy workmanship on
http://www.epinions.com/Cyberpower_Inc_Online_Stores_Services/display_~reviews .

I'll bet you can't beat their assembled price at Newegg.

If you know how to "repair" computers you can't go wrong with them, buy it do some minor work and you have a super price.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
mossy First Officer

I agree completely with this rant. I got my computer custom built for me which saved some money, but I reckon if I had spent a while learning about the inside of a computer case I could have saved money and got a more powerful system by building it myself. The only advantage of buying the computer that I did from where I did is that I have been forced through a massive learning curve in both complaining to online companies and the deeper workings of a computer, with a bit of help from my mum (a lawyer,good for the complaining bit!) The itc tech guy at my school, computer shopper magazine and the people here.

Pro Member First Officer
JLangevin First Officer

That is a pretty nifty rig, but it does not apply to this thread. This thread is about simply buying a gaming rig that would be produced in multiple numbers, not custom work.

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

If I was to price my computer (everything I have now running) as if I was buying it tomorrow, it will cost me $1661.00.....after taxes!! But I was steadily improving my computer, with small upgrades. So, at most I spent about $450 dollars on one part alone.

It is an easy job and a lucritive bussiness venture...I was planing to start my own computer shop, equipped with a internet cafe for late night LAN parties. Money is to be made if you know how to build, install, AND repair PCs and internet servers.

J.....mass producing gaming rigs can be a bit of a problem. Since computer technology is constantly changing, developers and computer designers is trying to keep up with the pace. And with that hardware prices is going to go through the roof. Now, you can build cheap gaming rigs with sub-standard componets (hardware that failed tests, faulty soldering, and componets that failed QA), but you risk the chance of people buying them without having them be returned like the XBOX 360.

FlytheFriendly Guest

$450.00 My goodness, what did you buy?? Blink

Pro Member Captain
Rodney Jacobs (GundamWZero) Captain

FlytheFriendly wrote:

$450.00 My goodness, what did you buy?? Blink

The 8800 GTS Superclocked videocard. that is after taxes.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...