making your own texture for aircraft>)))?

Pro Member First Officer
dkt3 First Officer

how do you make your own texture on aircraft ?

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
CAFedm Trainee

You've probably tried opening textures and had the "drawing failed" message appear. In order to be able to see what the textures look like, hunt for a freeware utility called DXTbmp (made by Martin Wright). Once you have that, you can open textures with it and save them in regular 24-bit .bmp mode. This permits (1) actually seeing how the textures look, which is the first step to making repaints; and (2) editing of the textures using a regular bitmap editor (from as basic as MS Paint, to advanced editors such as Photoshop or Pixia - the latter also being freeware). When done editing your bitmaps you can save them in .dxt3 format using DXTbmp again, and the new textures will show up in the sim. Keep in mind, all the part images have to be retained in the same position and size as per the original textures, as the textures are mapped onto the aircraft parts at the design stage.

pizzaface Guest

hey,
is pixia any good?????????
does it leave a stripe or line on the very top of the fuselage, were the two halfs join???????
or is just me?????
how does pixia compare to the regular ms paint program??
thank you 😕

Pro Member Trainee
CAFedm Trainee

I tried Pixia and once you get the hang of it, it's pretty handy. You can make some good feathering effects and most of all do layering. I've since got Photoshop Elements so don't use Pixia anymore. Being most familiar with the default MS Paint, I would often make special effects in Pixia, then reopen the bitmap with Paint for final editing, e..g., to cut & paste, reposition images, etc.

One of the really neat things I did with Pixia was editing a plane's textures, complete with panel lines, with the plane originally all in one color. Camoflage blotches were then added using the layering/transparency in Pixia, which permitted recoloring of those areas while allowing the panel lines to still show through underneath. Pretty nifty!

pizzaface Guest

😀 hey thanks for the info, i was wondering about layers without ruining panel lines!? I found out about the stripe or line i get sometimes on the very top of fuselage, i hear its fro the original author who stretched the texture, and ya hafta remake textures!?
think i'll atleast give pixia a try for i can't afford coral, or photoshop.
thanks again 😀

Pro Member First Officer
dkt3 First Officer

how do edit the texture with pixia i never used this progrme before ????

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...