Low Frame Rates?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Bad news guys, i have been getting low frame rates lately. I think it is mainly due to the 3 things. These are put in order from most probable cause to least probable cause:

1. Sound

2. AI Traffic set at 100%

3. Scenery settings set at maximum with some set to medium and or very low

Since sound is the most probable cause here's my sound specs:

System Information report written at: 06/25/2007 06:16:18 PM
[Sound Device]

Item Value
Name Creative SB AudioPCI 64V (WDM)
Status OK
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1274&DEV_1371&SUBSYS_13711274&REV_09\4&2B96F39&0&60F0
IRQ Number 9
I/O Port 0xDF00-0xDF3F
Driver c:\winnt\system32\drivers\es1371mp.sys (42623, 5.00.00.0029)

Is my sound specs good enough to run FS2004? Someone please reply!

Answers 12 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

FS9 doesn't seem to be sound intensive so I doubt it is your sound card. Besides, your sound card is adequate for FS9.

AI traffic is a killer.

You suggest you have been getting low frame rates lately. Does this mean you didn't have low frames previously? If so, what have you changed?

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

BashDaBish wrote:

FS9 doesn't seem to be sound intensive so I doubt it is your sound card. Besides, your sound card is adequate for FS9.

AI traffic is a killer.

You suggest you have been getting low frame rates lately. Does this mean you didn't have low frames previously? If so, what have you changed?

I don't remember but I think I changed the scenery settings alot. Usually, I experiment with terrain mesh settings- I set them to max. Even if I set the terrain settings to 0, it doesn't improve too much frame rates which is why scenery settings is my least probable cause.

Also, I might get Traffic 2005 (even though I have Windows 2000 Professional-requires Windows XP) which concerns me about AI Traffic. If I get Traffic 2005 installed my frame rates may never come out of 1 FPS maybe.

Finally, I also discovered that turning off the sound improves the frame rates greatly most of the time.

Pro Member First Officer

You need to isolate the cause.

Turn off AI traffic and leave sound/scenery maxed. If all okay then increase AI until FPS takes a dramatic hit.

As mentioned, traffic eats FPS.

Post your CPU, graphics, HD, RAM specs.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Here are my specs:

Display:

System Information report written at: 06/25/2007 09:02:42 PM
[Display]

Item Value
Name Rage 128 Pro
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5046&SUBSYS_04041002&REV_00\4&5F3FF6B&0&0008
Adapter Type Rage128 PRO (AGP 4X), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description Rage 128 Pro
Adapter RAM 16.00 MB (16,777,216 bytes)
Installed Drivers ati2dvaa.dll
Driver Version 5.0.136
INF File oem3.inf (ati2mtaa_ENU section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32

Drive:

Drive C:
Description Local Fixed Disk
Compressed False
File System FAT32
Size 37.24 GB (39,981,481,984 bytes)
Free Space 7.65 GB (8,219,099,136 bytes)
Volume Name
Volume Serial Number 07D10210
Partition Disk #0, Partition #0
Partition Size 37.24 GB (39,991,279,104 bytes)
Starting Offset 32256 bytes
Drive Description Disk drive
Drive Manufacturer (Standard disk drives)
Drive Model Maxtor 5T040H4
Drive BytesPerSector 512
Drive MediaLoaded True
Drive MediaType Fixed hard disk media
Drive Partitions 1
Drive SCSIBus 0
Drive SCSILogicalUnit 0
Drive SCSIPort 0
Drive SCSITargetId 0
Drive SectorsPerTrack 63
Drive Size 39999536640 bytes
Drive TotalCylinders 4863
Drive TotalSectors 78124095
Drive TotalTracks 1240065
Drive TracksPerCylinder 255

Hope these are good enough.

Pro Member First Officer

Hi KevinTsai

The only specs that report shows is that you have a ATI 128 Pro AGP graphics card and a basic 7200rpm hard drive.

These are both low spec items. Based on these I would turn down traffic and scenery. You need hardware upgrades to run FS9 at max.

Hope this helps.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

I see. Thanks anyway.

Jamie4590 Guest

Turn off anti aliasing and that will dramitically boost your frame rate. It will make your graphics a bit jagged though

poo-poo Guest

someone said to turn off anti-aliasing inside the game display settings and turn it on in your video card setting, if it supports that

Pro Member First Officer

poo-poo wrote:

someone said to turn off anti-aliasing inside the game display settings and turn it on in your video card setting, if it supports that

That was myself in a different thread. KevinTsai's graphics card is a 16mb ATI AGP card which will struggle even with AA off. Turning AA on will cause more loss of FPS.

poo-poo Guest

16??? the ati rage pro 128?
maybe, i thought they were considered a 32mb, and used 16mb onboard(the card itself) plus 16mb system ram?
fs2004 did ok with me on a 32mb, but ai and scenery , well lots of add ons it couldn't handle. and i hadta shutdown lots like, auto update and any programs running in the back ground.
and had to put sound quality on poor and never could really slide the display sliders too much to the right.
but a ati 128mb card was awsome in my xp. with fs2004, but i did go to 256mb one and i needed to buy a lot more ram to run it.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Good news fellas- my frames are up again. I remember that the computer was turned off because of a thunderstorm the other night. When it was back on, I swear when I was flying in a Cessna Skylane, the frames were very high-30-40 FPS! But after experimenting with the display settings, I think I set the terrain mesh setting to 50% and the rest in the middle and low settings. Finally, I turned back the anti-ailiasing setting on. Frames in the small Cessnas were I believe 10-20 FPS.

Everything's good for now. Just wondering, does the size of the aircraft affect FPS? Bigger the aircraft the lower FPS you have? Around the time when frames was really bad, I remember that I flew an A380 and max FPS barely got up to 2-most of the time was 1 FPS.

Pro Member First Officer
KevinTsai First Officer

Hey guys, yesterday I finally got Traffic 2005 and I stayed up to midnight trying to install it but I finally did it!

This morning, I tested Traffic 2005 to see if it works an it did! The only flaw I found so far was that the frame rates were very, very low when I set traffic to 100% I tested this in a Skyhawk by the way. I have to set the traffic to 30% and it gave me 4-5 FPS. Also, the textures on the AI Aircraft are blurry most of the time so I set the global texture size to massive as indicated in the FAQ section of the Just Flight website but it still doesn't work. I'll send some screenshot soon!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...