sinking into the runway?

Pro Member Trainee
piper_wichmon Trainee

This is probably something I'm doing wrong but most of the time, when I go to land, when I touch the run way, I sink into it. Could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

1. Take off AP (if I'm using it)
2. Line up
3. Increasingly put flaps
4. Landing gear

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
bawls327 Captain

hmm I am not sure if this could be it but what is your speed and what is the aircraft.

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

I noticed after a particularly hard landing - I blew out the main mounts - when I looked at the screen my plane was half in the runway, but I could still taxi. Strange, but perhaps you are landing too hard?

Pro Member Trainee
Fitz345 Trainee

This is basically a crash, without the fire, smoke, twisted aluminum and death, which flight simulator x left out for tact. In most cases your approach speed is too low, which means your rate of decent was too fast. Basically, the plane was dropping out of the air rather than gliding to a touchdown. If you check the kneeboard in each aircraft, in the 2d (F10) cockpit -- the checkmark -- each aircraft should have a landing speed table. I usually go with a middle of the table speed rather than trying to figure out what the plane is going to weigh at landing. For instance, if you keep the Boeing 737 between 145-155 knots, you shouldnt sink into the runway unless you are causing the rapid decent (nose down).

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

I've noticed lately that even my ground vehicles are sunk into the gound, about halfway up the tires. I can't remember if I had seen this before installing X Graphics or not. My landings are usually pretty soft as I don't fly jets and I'm pretty familiar with the few airports I use and even the plane's tires seem to experience the same problem. Has anyone else noticed this? No big deal - it just looks funny.
Regards...Art

Pro Member First Officer
Jim (jellrod) First Officer

I understand your problem now, sorry. Yes, I have vehicles that sink into the tarmac as well. The baggage carts and fuel trucks for example as well as the aircraft tires. I saw a "fix" for that on avsim, but cant remember which download it was.

Pro Member First Officer
art lippel (effieveda) First Officer

I wish you could remember the fix because now that I'm more aware of it, that soft surface is really starting to bug me.
Regards...Art

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...