Calculating Rate of Descent on Final

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

Could anyone please tell me how to calculate the rate of descent on final?thanks. I forgot..Thanks in Advance.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

This is from the thread you posted 2 years ago

➡ Rule of thumb for the descent is:

If you are flying at 18000ft at a ground speed of 200kts and you need to descend to 3000ft, the difference is 15000ft. Multiply 15 x 3 = 45 miles out you must begin your descent. Half your ground speed is 100, add a zero, and 1000 ft per minute is your rate
of descent.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

okay, how would you calculate if you were 15 miles from touchdown and you are going 200kts at 9000 feet.?

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

At what altitude is your runway? Another thing is that your speed will decrease while descending.

Pro Member First Officer
Vin4evr First Officer

lets says runway is at sea level and lets say i will be descending at 200kts to make numbers easy..

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Descent rate would be 1000ft/min and you would start 27 miles out.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...