ATC add-on - such a thing?

Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

Hi,

Is there such a thing as an ATC add-on, payware or otherwise, to improve on the standard FS9 ATC.

I, like many other I'm sure, use the ATC to increase the realism but I have to say that the "service" is pretty basic although it is vastly increased over FS2002.

A great improvement was EditVoicepack which has filled in a some missing callsigns plus added some new phraseology.

My question though is: can we go even better than this? For example:

1. Can we get vectors around conflicting traffic?

2. Can we improve on heading control i.e. "direct-to" waypoints?

3. Can we get less pointless interference with heading whilst approaching the airport - huge heading changes for no apparent reason only to be brought back on to the original heading moments later?

4. Can we incorportate more advance procedures - the hold, or a full non-precision approach?

5 Can we generally improve on the atc services and therefore realism?

In FS9 what you see is what you get. I'm not in with FSX yet and don't intend to either so I'm not sure if ther is improvement there.

Basically, can we get an ATC add-on which brings us more realism?

Cheers.

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I think this is the only ATC addon available for FS9! Don't quote me on that though! 😀
http://www.rcsimulations.com/voxatc.htm
There is also one available for FSX
http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=825&gclid=CLuFnsWyxo0CFSMSEgodrh1ESw

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

this one is much better:
http://www.jdtllc.com/

Pro Member Trainee
chrissie Trainee

How about install VATSIM and fly online with live ATC. That would be the best and closest realism there is.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

chrissie wrote:

How about install VATSIM and fly online with live ATC. That would be the best and closest realism there is.

That's true but you need to go through trainning, which is free but it takes time. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

Radar contact is probably your best option. It is so many new options compared to the original ATC. The ATC in FSX is the same as FS9 I believe.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Drew B (belgeode) Chief Captain

Million dollar question. does RC allow you to use fictitious airline names such as Steeler Air... I used editvoicepack to make Steeler Air audible in ATC calls, I would hate to have to redo it, after adding this program.

Pro Member First Officer
coolsan First Officer

So, is radar contact really worth it? Does it fully replace the original atc? I don't fully understand how it works....

As said, flying online is much more realistic, but sometimes you just want a bit more realism with the atc, without the added pressure of flying on line.

Pro Member Chief Captain

With USAir Virtual I just got into using VATSIM... it's fine, otherwise i use default AI ATC.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

There is an option in Edit Voice pack which makes for more realistic AI chat 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

Cheeks wrote:

There is an option in Edit Voice pack which makes for more realistic AI chat 😉

It only speeds up the transmissions nothing else. I guess you can say it does make it sound a little bit more realistic but not a whole lot.

Pro Member Trainee
renesis Trainee

I eventually went with Radar Contact. Without doubt it enhances the ATC realism. I'll outline the pro's and con's as I see them.

Pro's

- "real" voices
- more realistic traffic control (crossing restrictions, speed restrictions...etc)
- MS flight .pln route import
- more in-flight flexibility (emergency, diversions, direct-to waypoints, flight level changes, requests, runways changes, option to fly full procedures)
- ease of use
- background "real life chatter" (which I turn off because it obviously repeats on itself eventually)
- Realistic differences in local ATC terminology (i.e. US ATC is as it should be, European is at it should be) To me this is what makes it a great program!!

Con's

- a disappointment to me was the lack of some airline callsigns. There are many, many available within RC but some of my favourites are not there. When a callsign is missing RC replaces it with a letter, e.g, Thomson becomes "tango", First Choice (callsign Jetset) becomes "juliet". There are many though that are present but the only reason I think it's a downside is because there is no option to "update" RC as far as I can tell. So, there seems no prospect of adding them, or others.

Otherwise, this is exactly the program I was looking for when I started this last year. RC runs as a seperate program alongside FS. From my perspective there appears to be no impact on FS performance.

***Excellent program and one I'd recommend***

Pro Member Chief Captain

EditVoicePack will allow you to construct the missing callsigns.

All you need are good ears and an understanding of how words are phonetically formed in the english language.

Pro Member Captain
nottobe Captain

John Decker said they would release v5 in 2008. V5 will support VFR ATC. But dont know when.....

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...